1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to race the famous TT Course..?

Discussion in 'General' started by GoldStarRon, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Although, I'm not a big fan of the side cars, I'll give the side car passengers credit...they seem to work awfully hard.

2. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Ahhhh....Shaun. I don't know you but gather that you've quite a bit of experience on the Island and know the perils, etc. and I respect your opinion on the matter. That being said, I think you might be underestimating some of the people that would actually go through to completion a plan to race the Manx - not the TT - but the Manx, for reasons that you've mentioned. I also think you might be giving Ron a bit of an undeserved hard time.

Where am I coming from? Let me tell you of my experience with an unsolicited offer of help like this. A little over ten years ago, I read a random post on an AOL message board asking if anyone would like to race at a FIM World Championship Rally event in northern Africa. It was totally out of the blue, and I suspect, the writer didn't really think anyone would take him up on it. Although I had never thought of taking part in a grueling Desert Rally involving thousands of Kilometers of racing over a nearly two week period, I was an expert ranked MX rider, and had done some desert riding at race pace. I responded to the offer - and I'm damn glad I did.

What followed was a lot of communication with the poster, the AMA, both the FIM and the AMA, etc. to just get the FIM license. Then there was bike, team, general logistics, etc. Months of effort and follow through paid off in a place at the qualifying spot outside of Nice, France. Two weeks of effort resulted in a respectable finish and a personal invitation to race the Paris-Dakar race the following year.

...All because I responded to a random, but well meaning, offer to race overseas when I had never thought of doing so before.

I understand the Island is no place for newbies...but I can assure you that riding a huge dirt bike going up to 115 mph (my registered max speed) with over 12 gallons of fuel in the middle of an absolutely barren African landscape, hoping that if you crash at 80 or 90+ mph the GPS emergency beacon for the MediVac copter won't be crushed...is no place for newbies also.

So what's my point? The point is that Yes the Island can be dangerous; Yes, it's no place for newbies...However...an offer like this popping up in cyberspace might motivate someone with the skill to have a think about it. Then have a think about it again. And then, as the subtle grin slowly spreads across their face...realize they can do it.

And then there they are, months later...raceface on...ready for the challenge! :beer:

Thanks Ron!

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Great post!

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Like Brandon said it's not always the case. His (rented) bike worked flawlessly, but I knew of another racer who rented one that turned out to be unusable. I've heard stories of people paying to rent a bike that simply doesn't show up, or having them break, or whatnot. For Jimmy + Brandon I was one of a couple mechs working for em that went through and basically completely rebuilt each of their bikes just to make sure everything was perfect, but if you don't do that then you can't really be 100% sure of what you're riding.

I'm not saying it's a bad route to go - again, Brandon's rented bike was flawless for the whole fortnight - but the problems it can pose can be race-ending. As I said before I'm planning on shipping mine so I can do the prep work beforehand, so I know exactly what my machinery is, and because it makes stupid power for a 600 :)

5. motopix

motopix Well-Known Member

:beer:
    Regardless of the help offered, only someone truly committed will follow through to the end. And if they're delusion enough not to realize and accept the risks, well that's on them not the person who helped them make the dream a reality.

6. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

:stupid::stupid::stupid: Very well said.

The other reason that most people aren't going to go (such as myself) is because I'm wayyyy too slow and too much of a pussy to ever ride at those speeds inches from a building.

Interesting though that some think its the nightmare of dealing with travel arrangements that discourage people from trying a TT race.

7. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

if thats their "excuse" then they just never really had the true desire to do it

8. gpstar748

excellent point and congrats on your experience at Dakar! didnt know you did that :beer:

9. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Jim of course you know my comment was tongue in cheek...! :D

But FYI they have a HUGE purse out for the first rider to do a 100 MPH lap on a leccy bike.. and that is drawing some attention...

Cheers..!!

Ron

10. GoldStarRon

As a side note.. I had no idea that anyone here was this interested.. and I thought this thread would dissappear fast... Thanks to all for posting.. and giving me and others feed back..!

"IF only" I could turn the clock back, I would be out there in a heartbeat..! So, I must get my racing thrill through others..

FYI, on a few occasions, I supplied my meager racer to guys from "over there" and let them get the thrill of racing at Daytona... and a couple of top names have asked me for that thrill as well.. I wish I would win the lottery... I would have a fleet of bikes..

Last word here.. the racer age range is like 18 to 70... there are some very fast "mature" guys out there... Oh yes, and there are a few FAST women as well..!! This is not just a "guy" thing...

Cheers..!

Ron

11. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

If anyone would relate, I'd think it be Brandon! :up:

Unfortunately, I didn't race the Paris-Dakar that following year. I was mulling it over when I got the "Budget." Expect the bill to be nearly $50,000 I was told by the race organizers. Well...ahhhhh...yeah. As I'm sure you know, most folks over there raise that cash via their sponsors, but at my level, no one seemed to be interested in putting up money for a privateer effort for a race that would get little attention in the US. I prolly coulda raised $10K in sponsorship support, but then...there's still $40K to go!

At least I still have the invite letter! Somewhere...in those boxes :crackup:

12. gpstar748

you have no idea!

some of them are very accomplished motorcycle racers as well...including TT Sidecar champ Dan Sayle who, if Im not mistaken, has won Solo events at the Manx GP

13. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I got to be the passenger on an F1 sidecar at Summit Pt a few weeks. Totally awesome experience! The pilot said I was a great passenger. We were sliding through the right turns and I kept the wheel down in the lefts.

I'm all about doing the TT on two wheels. But after doing some laps in a sidecar on a normal road course, it really puts it in perspective about what those guys are dealing at the TT. Passengering a sidecar at the TT is as hardcore as it gets.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

We were talking to some of the sidecar guys and they said that their data logging showed that they held 100% throttle for 17 minutes out of a 19-minute lap.

15. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

I'm Game.

Always wanted to run the course.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Speaking as an enthusiastic TT spectator, I can say that getting over there to watch (on a bike anyhow) is a logistical challenge in itself (but worth it). Can't imagine the effort to race!

Anyhow, I was just chiming in to say something that is probably obvious. Go over there and just spectate at the MGP or TT. See what it is all about, make some friends, meet some other Yanks who are racing there, get introduced around, etc.

Definitely stage one in deciding if you want to be out there racing yourself. I'm pretty sure nearly everybody here who raced went over at least once as a spectator.

17. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

That's awesome! I knew those guys had some racing back ground...much respect. :up:

18. GoldStarRon

Smilodon is spot on..! If you can, go the year before you race.. Or even go for a few days of the TT then race the MGP. Keep in mind the TT has the pits closed off somewhat, and the crowds are a lot bigger.. big time..

On bike prep.. keep in mind in some classes half the bikes do not finish.. About 10% or so, never make the start.. If you have any doubts, read that again... half the bikes do not finish...

Last year at the TT, John G's factory Honda broke a chain.. this year his factory Honda had electical issues.. If it can be broken, the TT Course WILL break it..!! I suggest a good "game plan." If you have several people helping on the wrenching, make sure they know what is expected, what needs to be safery wired, torque specs, etc.. Last year a guy I was garaged with lost his brake pads... due to toooo many guys touching one task and thinking the other one tightened the lock bolt... it fell out... luckily he was not hurt... whew..!

I also suggest that you not practice on wet days, unless you really need the lap, then go slow.. you can not win the practice..! Once you have met the qualifying speed, then you need the required laps.. then take the time to learn the course a bit.. You can spend the last practice day(s) beginning your race day prep, or you can go out and drop it.. and have to scramble to fix the damage... It is very easy to get toooo excited and not think clearly... With a modern bike, the engines seem very reliable.. chains, tires, and electrics seem to cause the most failures...

Speaking of thinking clearly... party AFTER your race.. The race is like running a marathon, you need to be in peak condition both physically and mentally... if you are tired (or hung over) then you are not race ready... Oh yes you do get TWO breath tests, one before you race and one after... I see some of the racers bring or rent a bicycle.. and ride the course (or parts of it) in the early morning... Some racers have walked/run the course..

And as an FYI, they have some different flags and meanings to the flags... learn them... they can save your butt, or someone elses...

I wish they had side cars at the MGP... imagine the condition the "monkey" needs to be in, to do 4 laps..!!

Oh yes, and it is possible to have a fairly fast lap and never get near the curb... no, not winning speed, but just finishing is AWESOME...

Cheers..!

Ron

19. gpstar748

Sidecars only do 3 laps...

20. amid.alm

amid.alm Member