SV650 race tail bodywork installation, need advice & photos

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bonzai272, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Active Member

Im trying to fit a Factory Body Works fiberglass race tail onto my 2nd generation SV650.

The race tail has 2 tabs toward the front so that I can bolt it to the stock location under the riders seat but there isnt anywhere else I can see to secure it.

FBW said the top of the tail behind the rider has been reinforced to allow another mounting point but I think this will require me to fabricate some brackets, which I have never done before. I can probably use the bolt holes where the stock rear grab bar used to go or the bolt holes where the stock rear seat latch used to go, but again this will require brackets and Im not sure where to get the materials or if I have the right tools to make them.

Can any of you guys offer some advice or tips, maybe some photos and explanation of how you fitted your SV650 tail?

Thanks!

2. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

I drilled through the race tail and stock undertail and installed dzus fasteners. You can see the two rear holes in the pic, I put two more farther forward on each side.

[​IMG]

That's an SV1000, but it's the same setup.

3. bonzai272

bonzai272 Active Member

Thats awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info and photo!

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I did the same as Redbird; I also wrapped enough dense foam around the top rear of the subframe that the tail can rest on it.

5. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

Another option that I used to give the tail more support is mounting a simple aluminum bracket to the cross bar at the rear of the subframe and drilling a hole for a well nut to secure the tail. I don't have a pic handy but it is basically an upsidedown U with ears _n_ . Where the ears have holes for mounting to the existing holes in the crossbar and a hole drilled in the center of the U for the well nut.

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Here's what I did for side tabs on my installation, works great:

[​IMG]