Anyone still using 16.5" wheels??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MellowYellow, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Will work for race gear

I just got an offer for a set of 16.5s for next to nothing and was just wondering if anyone was still using them or has everyone switched to 17s?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There's a reason you got them offered dirt cheap....unless you bring your hoops with you or let your tire vendor know ahead of time they won't be there.

3. MellowYellow

I've got a good source for tires, so that won't be a problem. I was just curious as to who was still using them. Before I took a break from racing a few years back 16.5s were all I would use, as I loved the side grip and flickability they offered.

4. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I've got a set of mag 16.5's on my CBR600RR...using Dunlops and loving them. I do have to let my tire guy know ahead of time what I will need.

5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

The few that I know who've tried them had some crazy difficulty trying to find the right setup for them. They ended up going faster with 17s. That was at near track-record place too.

6. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

We have a few Pirelli customers running 16.5s and tire availability is not a problem.
    In fact we are getting 2010 products from the warehouse - another thing to look out for.
    If you are offered cheap 16.5 tires they are probably old.

And you are right edge grip on 16.5s is unlike anything else...

7. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

We have a few pair of 16.5" still in stock.

Give us a ring up for availability and pricing.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i run a 16.5" slick FRONT only.. on one of my r6's. 6" rear was just way too much tire for me.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Interesting. Care to elaborate? Is the rear just too heavy for a 600, or is there too much grip? I have also heard the the fronts 16.5 lack feel?

Always entertained trying 16.5's but at my pace I don't think it would be worth anything significant. I think the MotoGP guys are back to 17?

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I did not think they would be common enough at the club level to have the tire guys stocking them at the track.

Carry on.

11. MELK-MAN

not much to elaborate on.. I like it. More grip with the Michelin 16.5" power1 a or b than the V front. Seems to last longer. I use the V dot for ss races, the 16.5 for everything else. The 16.5" rear that was on a 6" rim just didn't work for the set up i have on my bike.. The front would shake and wheelie in a straight line. Just didn't feel like taking the time to try all kinds of stuff, so i put the 17" dot rear on and it worked good. I don't base club racing stuff on what the motoGP guys are doing.. ;) I try what is available to us if the price is reasonable, and i just found the 16.5" michelin front was just a bit better than the dot front we have, with no bad side effects.
    ".. 16.5 lacks feel".. seems like a pretty general statement without much in the way of stats or proof to back it up. Should you go out and spend a bunch on a 16.5" wheel and have to pre-order the tire all the time? not sure if it is worth all the trouble, i got a decent price on it so just tried it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  12. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

If they are for the Duc in your avatar, make sure the rear will fit in the swingarm. I have a 16.5 front/17 rear(190/55 barely clears the front of the arm) on my 848 with Michelins and it works pretty well. As Melk said, I get some headshake and will be trying a 17 front to see is that changes anything. When I got the bike it had Dlop slicks (from the previous owner) that I rode on once but dont recall it having the shake as bad. I have lessened it with geometry changes but not eliminated it...As mentioned, with Michelin, order/buy ahead of time just in case.

13. MellowYellow

Actually the 16.5s are for the R6 I'll be racing next year. You can't run a 16.5 rear wheel on a 848/1098/1198 withe the stock swingarm. The tire rubs. I know because I tried. You need to get the $6000 Ducati Corse swingarm which is 15mm longer to allow for the clearance needed with the 16.5s that are run in WSBK.

The R6 I'm riding was built to AMA FX spec so the extra side grip from the 16.5s should really help with keeping up corner speed while the bike will still have enough power to justify the wider rear tire. I'm pretty sure that I'll at least give it a try, and if it doesn't work I've got 2sets of 17" wheels and a bunch of 180/55 and 190/55 to try out until I find a set up. Since it's an 05 R6 I think that the geometry will be beter suited to the 16.5s where as the newer bikes seem to work better with the 17s and a 190/55 or 190/60.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  14. MELK-MAN

If someone needs a 16.5" x 6" rear Marchesini wheel, let me know.

Just to clairify, im using a 16.5 front, with the DOT 17" 190power1 rear.. , most of the time on my beefed up r6 motor bike. I think the 180 could have advantanges sometimes..

15. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I just switched to 17s on my bike. Like someone else said, I couldn't use up the whole rear tire. I was also tired of trying to source tires. I've still got 3 sets of Pirelli take offs and a set of Michelin rains if any body needs cheap practice tires.

16. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

i believe one of the guys riding for a local shop, european cycle services, is running 16.5" michelins on his 848 with stock swingarm. just fwiw.

17. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has 16.5's and Michelins on his 1098...stock swingarm.

18. MellowYellow

Maybe it's just te Pirelli 16.5s that rub then. I never tried the Michelins

19. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

The Michelins are a good bit stiffer.

20. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

The Pirelli 190/65R420 is 652mm in diameter at the center of the tire.
    Exactly the same as the 190/55R17...

FWIW...