Getting started, any advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by 95aggie, Aug 11, 2010.

1. 95aggie

95aggie Member

Howdy folks, looking for some advice on purchasing a used track bike to get a start in RideSmart track days in Texas to make me a better street rider. Not looking to race, just want to learn how to enjoy my '09-R1, and not kill myself, or anyone else, in the process.

Could use some advice on what type of bike to get to start with.....and yes I will certainly look at what you might be selling if it fits my budget of $2,500 to $3,000. I had a couple of dirt bikes for about 12 years growing up, and never lost the fondness for motorcycles. Any advice would be great.

Also need advice on affordable leather. Whats best for the buck? I would rather hear from track guys/gals than a salesman.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here....couldn't find the rules....:)

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Starting off, look for something manageable (ie, not a liter bike) and good parts availability. SV-650 or a Ninja 250 are awesome track bikes and fit the bill. Check out Riders Discount for gear. Buy the best stuff you can afford.

BTW- Don't put your name on the back of your leathers. ;)

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The rules are right on the top of the page where you posted this thread. :)

Your leather suit is not where you want to save money. I would take some money out of the second bike budget (especially if you're not racing) to spend on a high-quality suit.

4. twentyone

twentyone Well-Known Member

PM sent.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Don't forget about good boots, gloves and back protector (if it isn't built into the suit). I like Held Phantom for gloves. Sidi and A*s boots are probably fine. There are many other good choices as well. Search the site and you will find lots of threads on these.

Look for used from this site's sale section for any / all of the above including the suit. All of this looks expensive until you see hospital bills for a track crash (lost time from work, deductibles, co-payments, etc.). Ask me how I know cheap gloves don't protect your hands well.

As to the bike, find an older 600 or SV 650 for just track days. Race prepped is a good thing except when it comes to motor mods. Look for track bodywork, some suspension work (you won't need top line, just well serviced).

6. Nicati

Nicati Well-Known Member

03 r6's are going for that great first trackbikes:up:

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Class of `95? College Station?

8. 95aggie

95aggie Member

Yep, I'm the proudest member of the "fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1995.... You familiar with us?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My little brother is starting his final semester there in a couple of weeks.

Did you find the rules? :)

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Somewhat.

If you're still in the TWS area, try this site. http://www.cmraracing.com/

They race in TX and OK. A few good guys to learn from in there...

11. 95aggie

95aggie Member

Yeah Nicati, I'd love to find an R6 is my price range to go with my street R1....Like I know what I'm talkin' about....lol

But I seem to have a liking for Yamahas...always have. Not opposed to any bike though. I'm sure they all have their pro's and con's....

12. 95aggie

95aggie Member

I'm in New Braunfels now Panthercity.... I just visit CS very frequently....like during football season... and now maybe even for trackdays :) Thanks for the site

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

14. 95aggie

95aggie Member

That's awesome HPPT! Us Aggies seem to be everywhere. I always say we're the biggest "cult" in the country....ha ha

Yeah, I found the rules. Got confused cause the phrase "read the rules" was actually written in the rules. :) Remember, I'm an aggie.

Thanks

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think Panther was class of 1885...

16. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

fixed

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Didn't his class discover fire?

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Orvis was the Dean back then.

19. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

:crackup::crackup:

20. 95aggie

95aggie Member

Not sure who Orvis is, but crap 1885 was not long after we opened our doors. Didn't even have girls yet....sooooooo yikes.... :)