Would you run this tire again?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CycleMyke, Aug 10, 2010.

1. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

Would you run this tire again? It is a Dunlop 209GPA Med/Hard, 190 rear. I ran it at Mid Ohio for about 2 hours at a trackday on July 3rd. It was on my 600RR, tire warmers used, pressure 23psi (off warmers), 25 mm sag. I am going back to Mid Ohio Aug 21 and I am not sure if I should run the tire again. I am an advanced group rider and run 1:42's.

Of course it is a dual compound tire, and I can see where the med compound has wore down passed the hard center compound......that is what I am concerned about. The tire stuck very well and has no sliding issues at all. I have a brand new rear to mount but at the cost of these tires, I was hoping to SAFELY run this tire again.

Please let me know what you think.......thanks. (BTW....both sides are worn the same.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

in a heartbeat, i'd run it again. Maybe not for a race, but def. for a trackday.

3. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

Yes, I would run it again.

4. wavrdr

wavrdr Member

I would...From what I hear you can run these Dunlops right down to the belts and still have plenty of traction for trackdays...

FWIW, I just switched from Bt003's to the 211 GPA's...

5. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

3 yes answers so far......

6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

4th yes

7. Fog Ducker

Fog Ducker Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, you should have seen the 003 I just took off! That one has a ton of meat left!

8. Nicati

Nicati Well-Known Member

Yes even without flipping it but you can flip it on the rear just not the front on dot's

9. sqrlnut

sqrlnut Well-Known Member

10. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

Does there appear to be a suspension issue or does this look like normal wear for the 209? (Med/Hard)

Any suggestions?

I just don't want to wad up the bike by putting another 2 hours on it. I have a brand new Dunlop 209 GPA Med/Hard as well as a new Michelin PR4......... I just don't want to change the tire if this one can still be safely used...

Thanks for the input so far.

11. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

You have a "cold tear", there so just drop the PSI from 23 to 21 off the warmers and make sure you have those warmers on high, and before your first session for at least 50 to an hour on high.

12. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

Is the cold tear bad enough not to use the tire? Thanks for the pressure drop suggestion.

13. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

you are fine.
    it should clean up with the drop in presure.....
    how`s you rebound? close to soft? if so you should be fine, but if you are mid or close to hard on the rebound, then you should give more rebound

14. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I'd run it, but I'll run anything. :)

Below was a different tire, but you can run'em, nearly, to the ground. Just check the wear & pressures after each session, and easssy on the throttle as they wear down.

15. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

Was this a Michelin slick or DOT ?

My last Power Race look slick on one side and some tread on the other, I should have flip it before my last track day. I run Michelin's on the 600rr and Dunlops on the RC, and I do like the Dunlops but finding that sweet operating set up is a pain, but with tryel & error, and helpful advice from other guys that had have the same essues and how to handel these Dunlops, you get there.... They are great tires

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  16. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

It was a Dunlop, and believe it was the KR NTEC slick! I ran these 2 years ago. Dayum great tires! :bow:

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

18. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

Cool, :up:

19. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I heard you can catch the flu from running a tire like that.

20. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

Already got a flu shot. :moon: