1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Shock Advice

Discussion in 'Tech' started by andreas27s, Jul 20, 2010.

1. andreas27s

andreas27s Well-Known Member

I am looking at possibly getting a new rear shock soon and wanted to know which one is the best or most preferred. I know that Ohlins is usually the top of the line, but wanted to hear about some of the others. I know that some of the ones I have seen out there are the Elka, Penske, RaceTech, and Ohlins. I personally like the Elka look because its red, but I know color doesnt mean anything when it comes to quality.

Let me know any thoughts and if there are any more good brands out there. Thanks.

BTW I have a 2007 ZX6R.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Everyone I've heard who got an Elka has been very happy with it. Penske is also one of the top performers usually - it is GP Suspension's favorite. I don't have anything nice to say about RaceTech.

3. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

I've only used Penske and I will continue to use Penske because of one major factor, Customer Support. The guys and gals at Penske will bend over backwards to help you when you call them directly, a quality missing in a lot of company's now a days. The products pretty good too!

4. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

I used a Penske on my '01 GSXR600 and it was LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than stock! I currently have a Ohlins 3x clicker rear on my '05 GSXR750. So far I give a slight edge to the Ohlins but $$ wise you can't beat the performance from the Penske. Try and find used if you can then send it in for a refresh and proper spring if necessary.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Depending on how cheap you can find the used shock for, it may not be worthwhile to get used. Aftermarket shocks for my 2003 R1 go for enough that by the time I payed for the used shock, new spring and service I am only $100 away from a new one custom built for me. That is if I can find one used as they sell on the R1 forum in less than a day even at those prices. On the other side of the coin, my friend found a used shock for his SV that was recently serviced and set for his weight and saved a good bit of money over new.

6. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I run Penske and it is big bang for the buck but Ohlins is next level up but you pay for it.

Plus lot's of Ohlins setup info and help out there.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Ohlins is very good. Penske is very good. The Ohlins myth is that it is the best. A properly valved Penske will work better than an out of the box ohlins not set up for the rider.

Elka had problems with earlier models.

Any shock is only as good as the support. Penske and Ohlins guidelines are both well known.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I run an Elka triple on a 2009 ZX-6R. The shock has been phenomenal. I gave Elka my specs, and they had the shock pretty close right out of the box. A few clicks in either direction, and it is really solid now. Their Customer Support has been excellent as well.

My only complaint: it can be hard to find a suspension guy at the track that knows the Elka line really well. Each brand shock has its own little nuisances, and there are obviously more guys familiar with the various characteristics of an Ohlins / Penske, and how those shocks respond to different changes.

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

We run the new RaceTech on both our 600s and love them! Perfect fit, great customer service, and they work great. Tdub

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I would get what ever brand has the best track side support for your neck of the woods.

11. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

Elka FTW! love mine to death!

12. andreas27s

So nobody likes using the Ohlins? or is it just because there are things that are just as good, but cost less money?

13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

The Ohlins TTX is THE best. The price of the Ohlins and Penske are close. Not saying the Penske is not a good shock if you get a deal go for it, but the TTX is better.

14. andreas27s

Oh so its the best, but so expensive that people opt for the others? Is it better in terms of the shock itself or the adjustments that can be made to the shock?

Does anyone know the MSRP for all of these brands mentioned?

15. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Prices vary from web site to web site. I have friends who scored great deals on Ohlins just by doing a web search.

16. andreas27s

i mean what the company lists them at, not the actual stores.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I have an elka, had to call them for some specs and talked to a guy for about 25 minutes about things i should looking for in terms of tire wear and the way the bike feels.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would be careful doing this. Some of these places will probably just throw one together and not really properly build it to you, your bike and your riding. If I am paying money for new, I want it built specifically for me and I want it from a company that will stand behind it.

19. MOVISTARDAVE

MOVISTARDAVE Active Member

Ive always used ohlins and its worked really well for me and lots of people I know. I think theTTX is the best you can get. Yes its pricey but if you can get one used for a good price then go for it!

20. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I have raced with WERA 9 weekends this year Ohlins has been at the track 7 of those weekends. I use Ohlins for that reason.