1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am about to buy a.....

Discussion in 'General' started by track wagon, Jul 20, 2010.

1. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

2007 Husqvarna 510 SMR

I have look at some reviews about them..they seem like a great bike anybody here have one? What do you think of them?

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^ PM user "KTkwong" on here. he has one.

3. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Customer of mine has one. I rode it.... I would lose my license in under a week if I owned one. Funnest bikes on the street ever invented.

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

5. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I found it on LA craigslist so I may be that guy does he live near LAX airport?

6. zyre2503

zyre2503 Well-Known Member

agreed. hard to keep it on two wheels and on the road. its definitely a city bike no highways, as it shakes a lot. Riding this bike is a pure hooligan attitude.

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

8. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

9. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Best ice racing bike ever...

On the street, I'd prefer the Ducati Hypermotard myself =) (however, since I'd lose my license in about 2 blocks, I simply have to abstain)

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Husky is a way faster version of my DRZ400 - if you're not in the city, like really in the city - no runs more than 10 blocks before stopping and so on - then get something more comfortable. I've got the Hyper mainly because it's the same feel but a lot more comfy since most everywhere I go involves running on the interstate for 15 minutes or more.

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I am just going to buy it as a toy. Nothing more, I may take it to work a few times but that is only 15 mins away.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Perfect. Plan on trailering/trucking it to the twisties :D Although seriously, bicycle shorts with the gel pads under your riding gear helps the butthurt if you have to do some highway miles to get to fun roads. Once you're in the curves you move around enough the small seats are fine.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

it takes LOTS of discipline to not wheelie/stoppie that bike.

14. chopt

chopt Well-Known Member

That bike is tons of fun. I geared the front a tooth taller and topped out at a 112mph. The only problem I had was, ummmm, none. Wheelies and stoppies are fine except infront'a cop. It was my second Husky after the SM610, which is a pig compared to the 510. The 510's are their race breed's, like you I had it just to fart around on. When you change the oil don't forget to clean the screens, ahh shit, if you buy it get back with me I'll dig through the files and give you tons of maintenace crap.

15. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I got my van for that. :up:

16. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I don't have very good discipline, so it should be fun. :D

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

pm sent

18. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

why not take it to adam's kart track in riverside or to Grange? you can use it as a training tool for your roadracing.

19. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

How often can you ride on the kart track? I will do that but I really didn't know on any supermoto tracks or karts tracks around here.

20. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Hey, yeah the bike's a blast. 1k miles, backroads, woods, track, and occasional far-from-legal road.

The awesomes:

Engine is solid spins up crazy fast. It is a total hoot to ride, but as stated, draws the wrong kind of attention. Great bike in the woods or on hard-pack, A SCREAM on grass. Parking-lot/small area fun you can ride ride knee-down 35+ mph circles/figure 8's all day on it. At speed it HAULS and is unbelievably nimble. Throw the rediculous mirrors away. An MSR/Acerbis folding dirt mirror will keep you legal but you can't see anything with it because of the control brackets. Controls on mine on mine are the same as the MV Agusta which is kind of funny.

Now the not so great:

The dash is not waterproof, so bead it with silicone or replace it otherwise it won't work for a week after you wash it.

Parts are a pain. There was a transition from MV Agusta to Husqvarna in 2008-2009 and during this time parts were rediculously difficult to get. To the tune of bikes spending 6-months in the shop waiting...

Make sure the fuelling is sorted. Arrow power-up kit is worth every penny. Make sure the lamba and o2 are sorted if you don't have them fully gone, otherwise the bike's all hurky jerky and unstable after tip-in.

REMOVE/BYPASS THE TILT-POSITION SENSOR.

Race part support isn't the greatest. At the time I got a Motosportz damper, but with the change in triple clamp geometry for 2008 it took another few months for those guys to grind the bracket down to work. In my experience sourcing KTM thumper parts has been much easier.

The headlight is useless.

Even with all the negatives, still love that bike. And hey, it's a simpler and more reliable engine than the Aprilia!