1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experienced engine builders....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Vitamin-E, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

what do you guys think of Ape Cam Chain Tensioners?? Solution to a problem that doesn't exist or should be put on every sportbike motor that is gonna be raced (in particular 03 - 05 R6 motors)?? - ve

2. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Mixed opinion. I run stock tensioners on my SVs and never have a problem. Stock F4 tensioners were junk. Depends on the bike.

3. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

I ran a lot of APE stuff on my drag bikes years ago. They have been around for a while. Their tensioners are great. Have one on my R6, my cbr600rr and 1000rr.

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

been racing R6's for almost 10 years, and have had one on every bike ive owned.

5. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Just wish the APEs were of the quality of the Tokyo Mods tensioners for the singles...Tdub

6. Chip

Chip Registered

We put manual tensioners on every motor we build. We even make our own tensioners for GSX-R/Hayabusa stuff.

7. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Saw something really strange at the track last wknd.

A guy had an Orient Express tensioner that evidently the male threads in one area of the bolt would not hold/were stripped. You could move the bolt fore or aft and start threading away, so it was kind of aparrent that the female threads were OK. Really weird.
    I have the exact tensioner on my engine, and a QMS / Jimmy Chance tensioner on a spare engine. The QMS unit has much more robust/coarser thread pitch on a larger OD bolt than the Orient Express unit, which has a very fine thread pitch on a smaller OD bolt.

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Tokyo Mods make a work of art tensioner for the 250/450 singles...wish they would make on for the 600s. Tdub

9. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

really? really?

what did you say? :D

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

You heard me! I doubled that post just for you!

11. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i'm very happy with my APE tensioner on the 600rr. noticeable improvement in consistency over the stock unit. i go finger tight and then a quarter turn back. would be interested to hear how KWS tunes theirs?

12. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Same here.

13. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Gotcha! If you don't mind me asking, what's your tuning reference on them..."turn it until the noise goes away and then back off a little" or something more scientific? How often do you have to adjust it? Thanks, VE