1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first Track Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by hemiths, Jun 26, 2010.

1. hemiths

hemiths Well-Known Member

Finally finished my first track bike, a 2007 GSXR. I am unbelivebly happy with how easy the Hotbodies bodywork fit, and how well it went together. The crew over at Hotbodies pre-drilled the holes, and every single hole lined up where it was supposed to!

The bodywork itself came primed, I did zero prep work except for a wipe down. Shot it with two coats of lacquer (not sure the issue with people who say enamel is better, lacquer had phenomenal results for me). After the lacquer, I shot the second color and then put one coat of clear on.

It took me and my one of my best friends about 15 min to get a pre-fit, then removed - spent about 15 min running a screw through each air duct, then about 15 min to put back on (this is my first time ever with track bodywork and it was painless, I don't know where all the horror stories come from). The longest amount of time was spent drilling the holes for the mirrors (I want to be able to hit the canyons every so often).

In conclusion, the Hotbodies brand has a customer for life. Fitment 10/10, Customer Service 10+/10, Overall 10+/10. Thanks out to my boy Eric, Roger - Owner of Hotbodies, Matt - Racer Support.

Here is the process:

[​IMG]

Plenty of tire clearance, not even close to a bad fit:
    [​IMG]

I have the stock header, and there was no issue with the bodywork touching the header, or even coming close (another angle of the tire clearance):
    [​IMG]

Perfect fitment of the pre-drilled holes on the right side:
    [​IMG]

Perfect fitment of the pre-drilled holes on the left side:
    [​IMG]

And the final product:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Glad it worked out for ya :up:

Be careful with your rearstand, the swingarm can and does slide backward on those rubber thingies, making the bike less stable when it's on there if it gets crooked. Some swingarm spools ($10 at Harbor Freight) are well worth the investment.

3. hemiths

Thanks, brother. I have spools, the pitbull doesn't have the spool adapter. I have to go get some tomorrow!

4. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

bike

welcome to the club now prepare to be in debt !!!!!!!!!!

5. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

6. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

looks good, welcome to the addiction

7. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

T/B

Very nicely done......where did you get that big Cycle Sector decal!?:up:

8. hemiths

Picked it up from Cycle Sector, the same with Hotbodies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Why do I feel like I just got spammed. :Puke:

10. My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

11. hemiths

When I was looking for track bodywork, I did hours, upon hours of research about different brands. I say hours and hours, because a lot of people don't or can't write a detailed write-up about their experience and the quality and fitment of the brand they purchased. Not to mention, it seems a majority of people are too retarded to actually put bodywork on, because this is my first time doing it, and I had not one single problem (and don't forget, my kit was pre-drilled). So, "spammed", no; an informative write-up to help the next guy who's looking into buying track bodywork, yes.

It's funny, now, to read all the horror stories with track bodywork fitment and such. It was one of the easiest mods I have done to date with my bike.

People should learn how to do informative write-ups so bad reps don't get spread around. Seriously, don't go to a forum and write "Brand X is crap." and end it with that. Take pictures, write details about why you are posting a "good/bad" review.

12. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

The problem I have with any body work is the details. yes it doesn't take long to make sure holes mount up but if you wanted really clean cut body work you have to look at gaps and where the edges line up. They should fit together and look like they were meant to be that way not a 1/2 inch gap here and an 1/8 inch gap there.

I will agree with you though that Hotbodies puts a lot into club racing and the fact they offer contingency is a huge plus.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're putting it on a show bike sure, these are race bikes and odds are good if it's been wrecked it's not the straightest thing to begin with with.

14. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

understand I personally don't care a whole lot. I got to a point I couldn't be in the garage if my dad was working on my bodywork, he was such a perfectionist that I would go crazy watching him sanding.

Only difference between a good set and a bad set is around 20 feet and 50 miles an hour.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep and I totally know what you mean about the perfectionists, I can only watch them so long before it drives me crazy :D