1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless speeds, again

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, Jun 19, 2010.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Im sure this has been covered, but i didnt see anything here that would quite answer my question.

couple months ago, cable modem pretty much took a crap along with my router. Comcast came and installed a new modem, i purchased the dir-655 D-Link router (latest and greatest).

Here is my dilemma. direct wired to the router, 18-20mbps speed (screamin')

sitting next to the router, now connected thru the wireless card on the laptop, 17-19mbps.

Come downstairs one floor, sitting in the living room, signal still showing excellent, and the speed drops to 6-8mbps.

why the hell am i loosing that much d/l speed? i would figure losing a LITTLE bit of speed, but over 50% loss?

Any suggestions?

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Drill a hole in the floor above and run a cable down to the laptop...hell your a 'lectrician.

3. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

What router?

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Here ya go...

5. dimitri

dimitri Active Member

I really wouldnt sweat so much over it, what you are looking at is the speed at which the wireless card is connected to the router. You cable modem connects to the internet at a much lower speed (640k - ~2-3mb depending on your plan etc). So really it will not make a massive difference in surfing speed. try running a speed test like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or http://www.speedtest.net/index.php?nojs=1 and see how much of a difference it makes whether you are next to the router or downstairs.

6. ToddClark

:confused::confused:did you even read my post? Here ya go, just in case ya missed it.

20 mb hardwired
    17-19 mb wireless sitting next to the router
    6-8 mb one floor below the router
    i use both of those websites to check my speed, hence how i know what my download/upload speeds are.

Oh, and my wireless adapter card in the laptop is an 802.11n.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You need to tell me how much signal loss you see between floors. 11n runs at higher frequencies which just don't penetrate well through walls.

Pull a copy of NetStumbler from here -> http://www.netstumbler.com/

Grab you a long cable and move the access point around the room and re-check downstairs. You may have some interference between you and the access point that is killing the signal.

8. dimitri

dimitri Active Member

sorry dude, I thought you were looking at the speed shown on the adapter properties. GL with your network issues

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Maybe he is on wireless and it was still loading. :D

10. ToddClark

:crackup: Brian, you crack me up. WTF are you guys coming back out to ATL?

11. Strick

Strick Good to be king

When work settles down.

:crackup::crackup:

12. Venom51

13. Venom51

Wife's a busy girl isn't she?

14. ToddClark

Something tells me THAT is the issue. The Netgear router that shit the bucket a couple months ago, was not only a 11g, but was also one designed to have extended range. Even my son down in the basement, with a weak signal, could d/l torrents and such almost as fast as i could upstairs. Gonna d/l the stumbler thingy and see what that does.

15. ToddClark

:crackup::crackup::crackup: imma not even gonna comment on that one.

16. Venom51

The 655 has had it's share of issues though so don't rule out the hardware just yet.

17. ToddClark

i checked yesterday, thats what i've got. :up:

Only change i made to the settings yesterday (all the stuff you told me to do we had already done when i had youre assistance when i set it up) was i changed the output from "mixed b, g, n" to just "g and n", since everyone in the house has a g adapter but me.

18. ToddClark

yea, my son and i were on Cnet yesterday, and read alot of the reviews. Wish i had done that before i purchased it, LOL, i'd have gotten a different one.

19. Venom51

Ahh...they all have issues. I generally don't deploy combination equipment. I like to keep my router as just a router, my firewall as a firewall and my wireless access as dedicated access points.

Not everyone can deploy that way though so you fight little issues with the combo devices.

You could pick up an omni directional antenna and just cable down to that floor and drop the antenna there to provide better signal strength.

20. ToddClark

well, i was mistaken on one thing. my adapter is a Broadcom 802.11g, not n.

Im wondering if i change the setting to just "g" radio output, if it will get any better?