SV ignition removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dmurphy48, Jun 15, 2010.

1. dmurphy48

dmurphy48 Well-Known Member

So I pulled information from the SV rider website to remove the keyed ignition and it seemed like some other people did this without a problem but I made all of the connections and there is no power to the fuel pump or power commander. The bike cranks over without issue, it just isn't getting fuel. I checked all my fuses and nothing appeears blown so I am a bit lost right now. If anyone on here has done this I will appreciate if any I can be provided any information or troubleshooting related to the fuel pump or power commander.

The only thing I did that could have caused an issue is when I first cut the Black/Red wire from the harness I had the battery connected and it sparked when I cut the wire. Could be nothing as the fuses did not blow, but is it possible that I blew out the fuel relay by cutting the wire live?

Thanks if you can help.

Dale

2. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

You fry the ECU... Gonna need a new one!!!

You are supposed to disconnect the battery... What were you thinking? ? ?

Just kidding!!!

2nd Generation right? What year?

Subscribing... I also like to remove my 05 2nd Gen ignition!!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  3. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

Did you go by these schematics?

You have to be careful. The wires are not the same color on both sides of the connectors. If someone is referring to brown wire on the harness side of a connector it may not translate to the brown wire on the key side of the connector. SPATT just did this mod to his SV the other night and ran into this problem. Once he double checked all the wires and made some changes in the connector he was golden.

Attached Files:

4. dmurphy48

Well it makes me feel better to know someone else ran into this. As far as the wiring coloring and sides of the harness, are you essentially talking about what side of the connector clip you cut the wires? I first removed the keyed ignition completely including uncliping the the keyed ignition wires from the green connector at the front of the frame. I then cut the black/red, orange and orange/red wires from the ECU side of the keyed ignition, basically on the other side of the green connnector. I then followed the kill switch down from the switch on the handlebar and cut those wires (Orange/Black, Orange/White) on the switch side of the kill switch, basically between the switch itself and the connector clip. Should I have cut the wires to the kill switch between the ECU and the connector clip? That is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks

Dale

5. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

it sounds like you cut the right wires, but what did you connect to what? where did you solder in the resistor? exactly what resistor did you use?

and btw, i remove the ignition switch at the connector, and cut the wires on the switch side and reconnect it. this way you can just do it on the bench. but either way it'll work.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. dmurphy48

I used a Radio Shack 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. I think it is what was called for exactly in the schematic. I think everything is connected properly as per the schematic and fuse and resistor placed as called for. I might just put everthing back together with the keyed ignition in place and see what happens. If it still doesn't start I guess I have a different problem all together, which would be odd as I parked the bike fine after the last race.

Dale

7. dmurphy48

Okay so I am going to officially give up on this deal. I took apart everything, checked the fuse and checked the resistor (it measured 99 ohms on my voltmeter) and checked all of the connections. Everything was fine. I then re-wired in the keyed ignition and the bike started up no problem. I then took it apart and re-wired the ignition bypass and the fuel pump would not come on. So either the diagram isn't accurate for the 06 SV (which I doubt it is wrong) or I am just flat out doing something wrong. I guess I won't worry about it until I can look at someone elses SV with the keyed ignition removed so I can compare. If anyone has pictures of what they actually did, with pictures of where the wires were cut in reference to the connectors, I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Dale