1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'General' started by r1ryder424, Jun 12, 2010.

1. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

That's tough. I know great players don't always make great coaches, but Claudio Valderrama comes to mind. Maybe even try to lure Dunga away from Brazil....

2. haunter

haunter Well-Known Member

Klinnsman WANTS to coach the USA.

and we should let him.

I think we should hire him and try and get Claudio Reyna to come on as an assistant and see if he has what it takes

he was a great player and on field manager, and I want to see if he can transition to Coach well.

Klinnsmans main assistant is doing well with Germany this time around as well

3. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

do your boys play for the baltimore bays?

people crack me up. "soccer is boring"...."it's an elitest sport"...yet it's the most popular sport in the world, by a land slide. played by richest of the rich on manicured putting green fields with $250 cleats and the poorest of the poor on rocky dirt fields barefoot.

yes, the flopping and acting is pathetic. most of these dudes are hard as nails, yet some will flop like fish to get a call. i see the same shit in all types of pro sports.

i agree, if you don't understand the game it can be boring to watch. for those of us who do understand it and are passionate about it, there is nothing better......except for GP racing

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Was that Buckwild playing goalie for Camaroon?

5. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

yes, jurgen klinsmann would be a gift. was one of the classiest players in the world, has proved himself as a world class coach, and lives in cali.

claudio was a great captain. wish he were playing next to bradley in the midfield right now. i'm sure he's enjoying his new position as youth technical director. if he continues on that path, i'm sure he'll be on the men's staff in no time.

6. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Actually, ladies (3 of them...pity me), only one left playing, a keeper for Freestate in the ENCL.

No doubt it's an expensive sport at the 'elite' level in the US, costs me a fortune.

7. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

FIFA should start handing out cards more. If any medical attention is required, you must be substituted (no more "magic spray")

8. haunter

I was impressed to see the cards for sim come out against germany

9. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

The name you guys are looking for is Ricardo Clark but I hope to never hear it again. He's rubbish. He's the one that lost track of Gerrard on their goal. Another player that once again disappeared in a big game is Landon Donovan. That guy is completely overrated. I've never been impressed by him so it pisses me off the way the media falls all over themselves to promote him. There is legitimate talent on this team in Clint Dempsey, Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, and of course Tim Howard. It's time we had a new "face" of the team.

Bradley should be done. He lost the game against Brazil in the Confederations Cup with his lack of tactics. One game he undercoaches, the next he overcoaches. His selections are suspect at best. At least he finally got rid of the old model of picking half his team from MLS. That was a recipe for disaster. Klinsmann is our man, even if we haven't hired him yet. USSF needs to just back off and let him do his thing.

10. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I thought Cherundelo and Demerit had really good games; Demerit for marking Rooney to the point where he became a midfielder, and Cherundelo had some pretty nice runs out of the back on the right side.

And where is Eddie Jones? That dude is a born goal scorer! Put him on the field!

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

clark shit the bed. donovan may be a bit overrated, but he's still a class player and has done well in the premiership. who cares about the media. landon is one of our most creative players.

+2 on the cards for the acting. i hope to see more in the opening rounds to set the tone for the rest of the tournament. funny to see gerrard get booked, yet timmy howard gets blades to the ribs with no call...

12. haunter

clark and tuner(?) the worthless forward that was subbed out in second half

I think when we play big games you think donavan dissappears, because he is heavily marked

he made some great passes and moves in the midfield against England

as for a the bolded part:

the old model was that way because we had about 3 guys playing internatinally dude, so it was MLS/NCAA and thats it. Its not a coaches fault if there is a lack of talent in the pool to choose from. I fault arena for poor choices because he refused to really try out young talent, something I am glad Bradley does, even if I dont agree with all his decision, (ditching Ching, keeping beasley).

He seems to feel that our best bet is flat out speed and chose some players that way. I understand that and what he is doing in that reguard(it makes his selections make more sense) but I dont agree with it all.

13. Ducky_Fresh

Ducky_Fresh I liek cake.

50/50 ball. No one said he had to go for it or dive.

14. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

You're thinking of Robbie Findley, who should've been brought off the bench instead of starting. Edson Buddle needs to start and have Findley come in late as a change of pace if needed. I think you'll see Feilhaber with Bradley as the two CMs next match. That's how it should have been against England. Clark did nothing for us.

Donovan isn't as well marked as you seem to think he is. I'll go down that path with you for a moment though: you're excusing his disappearing act with him being marked up? When he gets the ball in space and doesn't run at anyone, what's the excuse then? When he shys away from a 50/50 ball, refuses to challenge for anything in the air, doesn't defend, doesn't check to the ball, and misses an absolute sitter, what's his excuse then? Don't get me wrong, he does well in the MLS and against EPL teams from the bottom half of the table. Put him against an average player though and he goes MIA. Can you name the English player(s) that successfully marked him into obscurity in the last game?

I'm not talking about the 90s when most of the US talent was playing in MLS because they just weren't good enough to play abroad yet. I'm talking about 2002 and 2006! Each time, 11 players (exactly half the team, almost as if it was planned) played in MLS. I wonder how much pressure Arena was under from USSF.

Ching had his chances and hasn't performed. Beasley is hit or miss but there are times when he takes over. He's a proven commodity. Now there's a winger that gets marked out of a game! Look at the way other teams play him. They beat the crap out of him because they know that's the only way to slow him down. I'll start DaMarcus Beasley over Landon Donovan every day of the week.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I actually laughed out loud at work and everyone was looking at me!

God I love when soccer guys get their panties too tight. I'm a high school hockey coach. Our schools soccer team is state champs or runners up every year and many of the players get scholarships, so they must be damn good at what they do.

A couple of years ago a bunch of them tried out for the hockey team. They could skate and figured that with their stamina they would be a shoo-in. Those boys got their lunches handed to them. They couldn't come close to keeping up with the other players. What they didn't realize is that skating uses a different set of leg muscles. A skater can run but a runner can't necessarily skate. I was hoping they would do good, but that wasn't the case.

Plus every time that someone skated within 2 feet of them they would fall down and feign injury. :D

16. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

How'd the hockey players do out on the pitch?

17. haunter

dude hit him in the chest and the ball was above his head

and cleats up is ALWAYS a penalty.

he wasnt going for ball is hes that far off

you have to go for the ball in a 50/50 for it to be OK

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be a smartass but I really don't know what that means?!?

19. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

He's asking how the hockey players did on the soccer field, aka pitch.

20. haunter

yes findley, he was worthless, might as well have stood in place the whole time

you can say all you want about donavan, but hes our natl team cap leader and scored more than enough clutch qualifying goals to always be on the squad.

and I think him and dempsey are a level above anyone else in ball skills

I thikn even when he doesnt show up to play 100% hes still better on the field than half our squad. He did score twice in the Conderations Cup, only beaten by Dempsey who had 3 caps

so 11/23 from MLS, so how many players were playing overseas at reputable clubs then? that # means little if we only had 12-13 players playing in europe at the time, where are the rest going to come from? I agree that we should have as many overseas guys as possible, but if they dont exist we certainly cant play them.

the 2002 squad makes me cry, ugh, there are about 4 guys on that squad I would want, Friedel, McBride, Cherundolo and Reyna

I think the 06 roster is worse actually, but its hard to say.

Its easy to just say the coach picked shitty players(and I do wonder how much pull the USSF has on roster since they own MLS as well) but until I see all these great players that arent on the roster all I can do is disagree

of course, I am certainly in agreement that our tactics need work

yeah hes eluding to how good hockey players are at soccer and why its dumb to make fun of a sports player for being bad at another sport he doesnt lay

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010