1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can MotoGP do?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tortuga, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I think this hits a 10 out of 10 on the obvious meter.:Poke:

2. caferace

caferace No.

Maybe, maybe not. These guys tune theirs to a minimum for maximum go. Granted, it was a sideslip highside but what happened before the crash, not during may have contributed...

-jim

3. AJFLo

AJFLo Active Member

Yes more people on the grid. I think it was 14 riders on the grid at Mugello? Really low compared to the 40+ Moto@ riders.

4. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I doubt it's relevant at all, but i've had slides like that on my dirtbike. Not on the gas at all and the back end keeps coming around. Never have crashed from it though.

5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

500cc any config, any fuel (dilithium crystals if ya want)
    combined min weight
    open aero (updated dustbin if you will )

6. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

and your dirt bike has no electroics.

call me on crack but that highside and lorenzo's similar moon shots that are labeled so-called 'off throttle high sides'...the concept of an off throttle high side is new and foreign to me. Causes

me to wonder if maybe all this electronic secret sauce might have put enough distance between the bike and the rider that they are being caught out because of these aids instead of in spite of them. I watched the up close clip of Lorenzo getting air mailed in China, and that bike did him way wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd8vJnVXQjA

Unintended consequences and all that....

7. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

+1. Moto2 is pretty sweet too.

Not applicable to marketable bikes, even if they are badass.

Hmm... If you try to transfer from one hard lean angle to the opposite, you need to lift the bikes center of gravity, then rapidly lower it. Not to get to too hi-tech, but conservation of momentum comes into play here. To put it as simply as possible, if the rate of lean tries to move the bikes center of gravity downward faster than the natural acceleration of gravity, the contact force between the tire and the surface is going to decrease. If it decreases enough to bring the static friction to a sub-critical level, you will lose grip. The tire then turns sideways, increasing the area of tire in contact with the surface to bring the kinetic friction to a super-critical level, regaining traction and shooting Lorenzo to the moon.

To make a long story short, he went from way right to way left way too quickly.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:confused:
    :cool:
    :(
    :Puke:

9. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

...I knew I'd get that response

10. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Love the good ole 500cc beasts!

11. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

your theory sounds good until you realize that he was on an out lap and just cruising at the time... he was taking it easy and got spit off... same thing happenned to Hopkins in the pre-season that year...

12. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Me too..But, bet they'd be banned from racing at Laguna..:mad:

13. styles

styles The untrained eye

More bikes on the grid alone won't help anything. Just more back markers that don't get air time. Aliens remain aliens.