1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life of my tires, is a med/soft = pr5?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by turtlecreek, Jun 4, 2010.

1. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

I ran my first track day on DOTs last week. I had Pilot One B on the front and Pilot Race Medium/Soft on the rear. I was running reasonable pace 1:08 w/ a GSXR 750. It was 80 degrees and I was using warmers. The question/problem: At TallyGP, you run mostly lefthanders w/ just one right. My rear is almost down to the wear bar in just one day. I watched my pressures closely and the wear pattterns look good (a little to much rebound damping maybe, but the rest looked great.) While I can flip it and get another day, I was wondering:

1. Am I going to only get 1-2 days out of a rear?
    2. I bought a PR5 to replace it. Have you run this? should I expect Better life? Difference performance?

Will a PR5 be a better choice for 90+ degrees that I will see in July at Tally?

Any perspective would be nice.

2. RuthlessOne

RuthlessOne Active Member

I just brought a Power One V front and a Power Race Med-Soft rear for my GSXR 750 track bike. I hope I get more than one day out of the rear myself.

To answer your question, the Power Race PR5 is a Medium tire. I've had a PR-C front and a PR5 rear on my CBR 1000RR street bike for more than 2 years now. But, I don't ride it much either.

I have never had any problems with the PR5 and I used to use the CBR on the track at the time I purchased them and the daytime temps were above 80%. I was a middle of the pack Intermediate trackday rider at the time (Mid-Ohio). I hope this helps you.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. Nicati

Nicati Well-Known Member

I ran a pr3 at a trackday that was close to the bars and on the bars in some spots and it lasted all day being pushed only moved around once and it was just a little slide. The last two sessions the rt side was a slick. So know worries you'll be good. Dont stress about it though if ya do just put the other one on for now and this one later or sell it.

4. mysticblu999

mysticblu999 Active Member

At tally, I go all day on a new tire then flip it for the next day.