1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 09 gsxr 600 bodywork on 06 07 gsxr 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Keep Up, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

Just an FYI if anyone with an 06/07 is wanting to do it.

It works (with Optimal bodywork). The upper and lower are a direct fit, just need different air ducts (08/09's) or you just don't have to run them at all like we are doing.

The tail section is different so if you want to use the 08/09 tail, I believe you have to buy a different subframe.

06 suzuki gsxr 600
    -06/07 front fender and tail
    -08/09 upper and lower with the frame spacer (no air ducts)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures to follow when we finish the whole bike and put it back together, but I know I always wanted to know about retrofitting it, and finally just did it.

2. sickgixxer33

sickgixxer33 Track Whore!!

i just did the same exact mod great looking up grade imo.

3. Houston hb

Houston hb Well-Known Member

fyi if you use the 08-09 subframe you will have to use the gas tank too. You can use the 08-09 tail section on your 06-07 subframe, just needs alittle trimming on the bottom side that slides over the subframe. I have done this 3 time already

4. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

Nice didn't know that.

5. mrjonesiu

mrjonesiu Well-Known Member

yea i bought the 08/09 because the 06/07 was sold out. Turns out whoever sold me my bike already had an 08/09 subframe on it :eek: So that ended up working out great.

I have the SS tail and it fit up fine on an 06 tank....just took a little time to drill the black tank cover holes a bit bigger.

I was thinking about getting the SBK tail, maybe that is what won't fit up to an 06/07 tank? Any insight?

6. Eli

Eli Well-Known Member

Any updates.. Hi i would like to know if i could make this work i just bought the superbike race tail from a 08-09 gsxr 600 model to try to make fit on a 06-07 model can any one help me out to make this work. What do i need to buy to make this work, do ineed to buy an 08-09 gsxr 600 subframe, or do i also have to buy an 08-09 gas tank? also do the gas tank from an 08-09 model would fit an 06-07 model gsxr 600? thanks to any one willing to help out..

7. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Regarding 08 gas tank on an 07 ..... havent done it myself but have read that you will have to use the fuel pump from your 07 bike on the 08 tank.

Something bout the fuel line connecting differently....in order to get the 07 pump on an 08 tank you will have to drill new holes in the mounting flange on the 07 pump.

8. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Yep I have an 08 motor with an 07 fuel tank I had to flip the fuel pump around.

9. tomato_racing

tomato_racing Well-Known Member

I'm going to bring this back from the dead real quick...

If I get the newer bodywork for my 06 here's what I'm expecting:

1. I can use the 08-09 tail on my 06-7 subframe if I just trim the sides of the super sport tail (and retain my factory seat from the 06) I'd like to use the 08-09 SBK tail but I believe this would require a new subframe and possibly tank.

2. The upper and lowers are a direct bolt on, but I have to ditch the air ducts. Can I use my 06-07 windscreen or must you use a newer one?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

10. mrjonesiu

mrjonesiu Well-Known Member

I think you're gonna have a hard time putting the 08 tail on an 06 subframe IMO.

The windscreen is a slightly different bolt pattern/ fit but I made ut work until I got a new one.

11. tomato_racing

tomato_racing Well-Known Member

Do the two bolts in the back of the tail line up? It looks like if you cut a little off each ear that goes under the seat it should fit there. My concern is to whether or not you can get the two rear most bolt in...

12. Nexus

Nexus Well-Known Member

I have a 07 GSXR600 with the 08 subframe and race tail. The rest of the bike is 07 so I'm not sure what people are saying in regards to need the tank too.

[​IMG]

13. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

Revived for the second, maybe third time.

Sitch: I've got an 06 750 that I'm looking at purchasing 08/09 race plastics for to replace the rashed up set on it currently. I know I need the ram air tubes for the upper and lower. Got that.

What I'm having questions on (just an FYI stay away from the gixxer forums, dear lord!) is about the tail section. If the sets of 08/09 bodywork I'm buying are both SBK tail, after replacing the 06/07 subframe with the 08/09, will I have to replace the tank, or modify the tail in any way to make the SBK tail fit? I've read people saying it both ways but would like to hear from someone with first hand experience tell me if I need to change tanks as well to run the Superbike tail after replacing the subframe.
    Thanks in advance!!

14. Vstate60

Revived for the second, maybe third time.

Sitch: I've got an 06 750 that I'm looking at purchasing 08/09 race plastics for to replace the rashed up set on it currently. I know I need the ram air tubes for the upper and lower. Got that.

What I'm having questions on (just an FYI stay away from the gixxer forums, dear lord!) is about the tail section. If the sets of 08/09 bodywork I'm buying are both SBK tail, after replacing the 06/07 subframe with the 08/09, will I have to replace the tank, or modify the tail in any way to make the SBK tail fit? I've read people saying it both ways but would like to hear from someone with first hand experience tell me if I need to change tanks as well to run the Superbike tail after replacing the subframe.
    Thanks in advance!!

15. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

No you don't need the 08-09 tank

My 06-07 has had the 08-09 bodywork for years . You can make it fit the 06-07 sub frame or bolt the newer sub frame on and you'll need a 08-09 seat

I made the sub frame swap to make it a cleaner swap

16. Vstate60

Seems like you're talking about the SS swap. I need to know if the SBK tail will work with or without the 08/09 subframe and with or without the 08/09 gas tank.

17. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

SBK tail will work with either sub frame with the 06-07 tank . I've had both on my bike

If you're using the 08/09 sub frame and want an SS tail you'll need the newer seat

18. Vstate60

Thank you. You're the man.