First Track day setup

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Mikey SBF, May 31, 2010.

1. Mikey SBF

Mikey SBF www.sbfreaks.com

Well, I went out and purchased an 04 gsxr 600 with a few motor go fast parts, (yosh titanium rods, springs, valves, etc), Marchenessi rims, and setup for track days. I just wanted to see what all of the road racer types here would give me as advice for a first track day and what to expect. The bike itself is safety wired and ready to go from what i can tell.

Id love to hear whatever suggestions you guys might have.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Spend your money on tires and track time.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

+1

4. jdwilliamson33

jdwilliamson33 Well-Known Member

Go out and have fun. That is what it is all about. get some good saftey gear and have the time of your life!

5. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

What a waste, neither one lasts very long. I would spend my money on long lasting things like Durrani Magnesium wheels and a new power band.

BTW what color is your power band right now, and what is your red limiter set at?

Once you get those things figured out you will be fast!

BTW have you secured any sponsors yet? I would not even think about trackdays without sponsors. Without them you will not be competitive and you will continually lose your trackdays, which can be very demoralizing.

Good luck and have fun!

Just funnin ya! Have a great time!

6. Mikey SBF

Mikey SBF www.sbfreaks.com

shit, i didnt even know i had to purchase a power band, I thought those were only on two stroke bikes.

and the guy that sold it to me said something about a red limiter but i told him to keep it cause id never use it. Who wants to limit power, at least thats what i read on the intarweb!

haha

7. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

First trackday.....Make sure...100% that the bike is track-worthy and ready to go. Do NOT reley on the word of the fellow that you bought it from unless you know him personally and trust that he does what he says he does (nothing personal here), after all, it's your ass on the line at xxx MPH. Knowing that the bike is where it needs to be is just one less thing to worry about on the track. Go into it with a completely open mind and willing to learn. Check any ego that you may have, at the gate. Depending on the organization that you are riding with, get some instruction from the Control Rider/Track Coach/??? DON'T be afraid to ask questions and try to take in as much info as possible. There will be time to sort it all out and figure out what works and what doesn't for you, personally. Relax, have fun, don't push it too much until you get comfortable out there. Remember, you are on a new to you bike AND a track that you've never been on. I could probably go on and on, but that is a good start and most likely some of the others will chime in with some constructive advice.

8. AJay

AJay Low key observer

Hey I just started out myself.

Here is what I did... Bought tires and correct springs, set the sag and then watched the fast guys. It's working. :up:

EDIT: Did a Thorough brake service and added stainless front lines to!

9. ScreamingSon

ScreamingSon Well-Known Member

I recently started doing track day's, I made sure that everything was working 100%, I was confident in the bike, and if the bike were to go down I had some stock junk plastics on. I really don't think too many performance parts are needed when first getting into track day's, Sure they are nice to have but a stock bike will still be fun. Learn lines, get comfy, get smooth-

10. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

This!

1. Track-worthy tires
    2. Springs and oil level appropriate for your weight
    3. Sag adjusted for you (need helpers or the suspension guy at the track)
    4. Track-worthy brake fluid

11. AJay

AJay Low key observer

If I actually did something right is it okay to forward this to my wife?

12. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

Check the rules with the organization your riding with...they're all different

-check coolant (water wetter + distilled water)
    -check oil level
    -check brake pads and fluid (really important)
    -check tires and tire pressure
    -safety wire and tape (if needed)
    -go over EVERY bolt and make sure it won't be flying off on the track. i lost a bar end my first time out.

i'm tracking my gsxr...only mod is a slip-on and i'm glad i didn't blow $1,000+ on a full pipe and EM. money can definitely be spent elsewhere. proper gear, tires, trackdays, REPLACEMENT PARTS, etc. Most the jokers with fancy go fast parts can't out-ride their bike stock.

13. darkside879

darkside879 Well-Known Member

Couldnt have said it better myself!! :beer: