1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29er's

Discussion in 'General' started by benjpi, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

Like I said on the other 29'er mtn bike thread I cannot
    cross up a wheelie without hitting the front tire on the down stroke.
    No 29'er for me cause I like to do one handed wheelies too much.

:D

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You must be the size of pedrosa to get that much overlap. I don't think I could hit the front wheel with my heels on the pedals of mine.

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

4. sdg

sdg *

Any further thoughts on this one? I just rode a 29er today for the first time...gotta have one.

I'm thinking 29er, hard tail, hydraulic discs are my requirements. Off the shelf sure would be nice. NOT single speed - it is utah.

5. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Check out a niner. Nice!

6. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

Im thinking about building a 9 speed 29er to play with , because I have about 20 gears I dont use at the local trail on my current 2niner.... LOL

7. sdg

sdg *

What terrain and which 9 gears?

8. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

a few hard climbs but mostly not a hard trail.. I think the pros average about 15mph on it...LOL.. Its actually a decent trail for a single speed if you carry your momentum well.. so Im not sure which 9 gears would really matter...LOL

9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I have a Redline D660 that I'm very pleased with. 29er, 9 speed, nice spec for a reasonable price.

10. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

I bought my 09 Gary Fisher Cobia 29r in Jan this year, got a couple hundred off for the 09, great bike. Hard tail, rock shock front, have swapped the bars for higher rise, and it's got cable actuated discs. Excellent rolling momentum and fantastic feel when I have the tire psi just right. Wheelies! Took about a day but that's my biggest downfall, I wheelie the piss out of it, my kids and wife don't like riding too close to me, they think I'm gonna kill myself or them for sure. Did a quick tune/1st service yesterday, adjusted spokes, torqued brackets and stem, checked bearings, all good! Do have a leaky fork seal though (wheelies). Might upgrade to a Fox Shock soon.

29 over 26, among the racers there are still some holdouts for their specific reasons, but mostly those that make the switch don't look back.

My 2C

11. six6two

six6two AWD

Dude I used to have the same bike! I liked it alright, switched to road biking for a few years, now I've got a Giant anthem 1 and couldn't be happier. I don't see myself getting another bike for a long, long time unless I get the downhill bug, and around here, that's not too unlikely! :D

12. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

What do you guys think about the Origin 8 scout? Picked up the frame, fork, wheels brakes and everything for pretty cheap. I really only need tires, crank, and seat and post to make it complete. There isn't any suspension but i think it will still be a fun bike, rolls over anything and the cable disk brakes work well. I grew up racing BMX and riding trails, how do the bigger rims hold up to jumping (nothing huge just for fun) and goofing around? I should have it together by the end of the week.

I am planning on running a 32 front and a 20 rear sprocket, any input on this?

13. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you'll like it, although I've never ridden one. I run between 18t and 22t cog depending where I'm riding (32 x 22 for Schooner at BCSP, 32x18 for something like Limekiln at BCSP or French LIck.)

14. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

15. sdg

sdg *

Picked up last year's Gary Fisher X-Cal today. :D