1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fork springs

Discussion in 'General' started by FF750, May 10, 2010.

1. FF750

FF750 Member

I called race tech to get new fork springs for my 06 gsxr 750. They recomended i get .95 springs for my track only bike but now I can't really get the sag right after installing them. I rebuilt the forks with the rebound and compression race tech gold valves and springs.

The sag with me on the bike stays at around 21-23 mm in the front. The rear is still stock and is set to 35mm. The bike feels fine but I'm not sure what to do about the front sag. Preload is all the way soft and still can't get more then 23mm in the front. Did they recomend the wrong springs? This is a track bike only and I weigh 180 without gear. Should I go down one more in spring rate to .90?

2. EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Well-Known Member

put your gear on eat a big meal and try again? I have .95 in my track bike also and I'm about 180-185 with out gear. Haven't set my sag yet but just getting everthing ready.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Did you have to install shims or spacers on yours?

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shorten your spacers by about 10mm...

5. FF750

FF750 Member

No. It was less then a 1/4 inch longer then stock springs so race tech said it was fine.

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Well, there you go. 1/4" = 6mm. Stiffer strings and bringing your preload adjuster back into operational range makes it about 10mm to cut off.

7. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

What is the base/installed preload on the springs?

8. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I weight the same as you 180ish, and I use .95s and get close around 35mm of sag. Something is wrong. Either got the wrong springs, or something is wrong with the forks.

At 180, really for some tracks .90 works, others .95, and still others one of each for .925.

9. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

Take 'em to Traxxion! :up:

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Good question, this might be your problem.

I'm also about 180 and use .925 and have no problem getting enough sag.

11. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Your STD ORIGGINAL springs were .9 any way! So to go to a .95 spring for an average rider is a Total waste of money and time!!!!

who was the person at Race Tech that gave you this info?

I am Ohl;in's Trained, and have won a couple of races, so kind of no what I am Typing about????

PM me if you want to.

12. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I do not know your pace, tracks or valving....but at 180lbs you may want .975 or even 1.0 fork springs. People weighing much less often run springs stiffer than .95 especially on the 750.

Try to get more info so you only have to buy 1 set of springs. Also, remember the springrates racetech quotes are kg/mm and Ohlins for example is N/mm.

BTW...as mentioned cutting your preload spacers will correct your current problem, but don't cut them until you have the correct springs that you want to run as different spring manufacturers are different lengths.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  13. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

+1 I have .95s now and I weigh 160 w/o gear. Have 35 sag upfront.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not to sound like an idiot, but are you measuring the difference between static sag and rider sag, or full extension and rider sag? That would also be about the difference you're looking at. I've got racetech .95's and they're perfect, although I weigh about 190-195.