1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Nashville Residents OK?

Discussion in 'General' started by TLR67, May 1, 2010.

1. yz22

yz22 Well-Known Member

beers seller is under water!!:(

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Should have named it Beer Attic. :D

Seriously though, the Titan's field is flooded and 1st floor of the Opryland Hotel. Some sad stuff for sure. Luckily we didn't get hit quite as bad.

3. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hooo boy that is gonna be one expensive cleanup.

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. I spent the past two days working at a colleague's home. Water had been slowly creeping toward their home since Saturday afternoon. They spent Saturday evening moving all that they could carry from the first floor to the second floor, just in case.

Sunday morning about about 5:30 they saw water in their backyard. By 6:30am it was beginning to bubble up through the first floor inside their home. They got the kids up and prepared to flee their home. By the time they got the kids ready to go, it was nearly 7am and the water had risen to the point where once they got out the front door, the water was up to chest level on the children, and the family dog was forced to swim along side them to safety.

The water rose to about 4 feet inside the first floor of their house, and stayed there for 24 hours before receding. They were fortunate - a house just a few doors down sits a bit lower, and there the water made it all the way to the 2nd floor, causing a total loss of all contents.

We spent the past two days clearing, cleaning, salvaging, and trashing at their home, preparing for contractors to come in and gut the first floor of the home so it can be rebuilt. We were able to salvage some sinks, toilets, granite countertops, and a couple of kitchen appliances that didn't get soaked. Everything else on the first floor, including flooring, carpeting, furnishings, cabinets, counters, fixtures - everything - is ruined.

We sent our colleague off to find temporary housing, and today we moved him and his family into it.

We figure it will cost them between $125,000 to $150,000 to rebuild their home, and it will all come out of their pockets - no flood insurance, and no one is giving away rebuilding money. They'll be displaced 4 to 6 months, which will put tremendous burden on all of them, but most especially on the children. They handled it well yesterday, but today it was easy to see the effect this situation is having on them.

My colleague and his family are fortunate - they have friends, neighbors, and co-workers willing to help out, they have the means to rebuild, and they are ahead of the game on things like temporary housing and the like. They were able to move their cars before the cars were flooded. They managed to save much of their movable furniture, and their valuables. Other people weren't so lucky - they lost a lot more, and many don't have the resources to rebuild.

We need help in Nashville. If you can spare a few dollars, please contribute to the Red Cross or the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee http://www.cfmt.org/floodrelief/

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thanks for the links Russ. I trust you and yours made it through OK.

Anyone hear from Dave Arkle? I though he was in or around Nashville.

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I live in Nashville but our property was only minimally effected by the flood. Lucky for us we live near the top of a hill. A friend of mine lost a car, several motorcycles and other property.

9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Anyone hear from Tom Sharp? He lives in the SW corner of Davidson County.

I called him Sunday afternoon, but went directly to voicemail, and I haven't heard from him.

I hope he's just too busy to call back, or out of town.

10. Cellular service is still spotty in the entire area, but is definitely worse in areas that were hit hardest by the flooding.

11. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Tom is ok. I haven't talked to him yet but Eric and Tim have and I don't think he had any loss. Water came up in his front yard but the shop is up on a hill. The spring that flows under the shop came around it but I don't think it messed anything up too bad. I had 5ft of water in my basement. I live in the Inglewood area of East Nashville. We got lucky. I live on the lowest point of my street too. All the water was funneling between my house and my neighbor's. Opryland being shut down is the thing that hurts the most. I work freelance doing lighting and sound for conventions and that place is nearly half my income. Trying to pick up more out of town work since that's the only way I'll be able to pay my bills for a while. They say it'll be Christmas until it's open again, but I don't see how.

12. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

Anyone heard from Billy Odom or Van Salt?

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Glad you're OK George. How did Dewayne and Kat make out???

14. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

i just talked with Dewayne and they are good.

15. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I'll give Billy Odum a call later this morning to see if they're okay. Don't have any contact info for Van.

16. Bird

Bird Well-Known Member

Van is ok. He did not have any water damage.

17. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/flooding_in_tennessee.html

very bad images, when i was younger we had the agnes flood in northeast pa, in town the water level was up to the ceilings in the second floors, i was in a flood plane before i bought my house, and i was evacuated back in 03 i think even though the dikes were raised they thought it was going to go over, it was right at the top and they held, i moved everything that was worth anything up into the second floor, but luckily nothing happened, flooding is terrible

18. A lot of the smaller events are moving to the Curb Center at Belmont. Perhaps you could check over there to see what work availability might be.

19. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

i'm thinking dave hasn't posted on here since november. and from those posts...i'm guessing the almighty one clicked the ban button on him.

i'll e-mail dave and see how it is...

20. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

check post #25 :Poke: