1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Married Guys who race

Discussion in 'General' started by Retz, May 2, 2010.

1. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Good luck.

Been there done that. Sometimes you're just damned if you do and damned if you don't. Hopefully she'll understand what it means to you and work with you and not against you. I would be easy on the situation while the young one is so young. Again good luck. Mine didn't end so well. :(

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's my wife. Loves the people, the sport, the atmosphere, etc.. Getting a toy hauler and turning the race weekends into a family event was the best thing I ever did. Wife has fun, kids love going to the track and dad gets to race. Buckets of win.

Introduce her to some of the other people at the track you think she might like, make sure she has a comfy place to stay, something to do while you are on the track, cut the quantity of races down for yourself at first so you can be around more and see if she doesn't actually start enjoying it. Make the weekend a "we" event.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

With the BBS what more could a man ask for in life?

The basic needs of life are all here :beer:

Next question, how do I get the to wife have more congress

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Make more money :D

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The next time she says no, come back and read post #2. :)

6. 97BladeRider

97BladeRider Too old for this sh!t

I don't race (yet), I do back to back track days and we ride up to watch LRRS races. I plan on making my racing debut in August of this year. But my wife gets actively involved with race and bike photography. She also likes to talk it up with the people at the track.

Now that she rides her own sportbike, she can appreciate what it takes to get a bike to do what they do on the racetrack.

7. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Were you involved in motorcycles before you met her?

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Hell, if I did that why would I need a wife?

I'd roll the dice each and every night :up:

9. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

my wife, just last night, said the best vacation we ever took was when we went to superbike races one year.

that put the indy motogp race potentially on the family vacation schedule this year.

10. GoodKnight

GoodKnight Well-Known Member

What works for me is to work out a schedule with her, as well as budget it out in the beginning of the year.

When wera released the 2010 schedule, i picked out the days i wanted to do, and that was it. This way she knows what weekends I'll be gone, and she can plan stuff with her girlfriends or family.

I try to do the same with day rides with the boys. I look at the weather in the beginning of the week, if sunday looks nice i'll ask the wife if we're doing anything. If not, i'll ask the boys if they want to go for a street ride on sunday morning, and plan to be back home by 4. This way im not gone the whole day.

That said, will be different when we have our first child. I dont plan on racing when the child's young, just bc i dont want to miss anything. i'll still have my street bike for those quick 1-2 hour rides after work. i'll probably pick up racing again when my kids can ride their own bikes.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

There are 2 kinds of people in life. People who take shit and people who run shit. I run shit son!

yes I am divorced.

12. joehayes101

joehayes101 Well-Known Member

I would ignore crap advice like this. Motorcycle racing is stupid expensive and tad more dangerous than most girls can appreciate. If you are able to compromise on something you're passionate about for the sake of your marriage and your family, you're more of a man, not less of one.

13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

:crackup::stupid:

14. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

My wife likes to go to the track and likes to be involved with it. I don't race a ton since I don't want to waste the whole summer at the track and not do anything else, so a little comprimise too. I think she gets more excited when I do good then I do. But having her know other racers, wives/girl friends, etc helps that she has others to go bs with also is nice

15. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

get it straight, jb....she only comes to the track to see me.:D

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

bang bang!:stupid:

17. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey man, my mom gave me a chunk of the Charlotte observer from Kershaw last year....they covered the WERA event there, and had a pic of your wife (and daughter, I think) cheering you on...it was a nice article...I may still have it if you hadnt seen it.....very cool :up:

My wife says she doesnt wanna get involved, "you dont want me at the track, trust me"...but she doesnt give me any flack for doing it....so I guess it could be worse.

You are a lucky man.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It was the coolest pic ever, them cheering me and the hoopty 250 on. They really enjoyed CMP, and we are heading back this year.

Yes, I'm lucky.

[​IMG]

19. Sedan_Clan

Sedan_Clan Capoeirista

:crackup:

Gluvnaa makes an excellent point. Money issues aside, many of the problems stem from the spouse not having hobbies of his/her own. My g/f recently began Crossfit, and started doing Mud/Warrior Runs and the Crossfit games. She's dedicated to it, and has developed comaraderie with people on her team. This has helped her to better understand the situation that we are in as track day riders/racers (..i.e...time commitments, etc.).

20. Toxic Racing2

Toxic Racing2 a.k.a. kamikazejane

My husband has it good.....I race as well :up: