1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

racers and taped up hands?

Discussion in 'General' started by sickgixxer33, Mar 29, 2010.

1. sickgixxer33

sickgixxer33 Track Whore!!

I'm new to the whole racing world and been curious ever since seeing racers with their hands taped in between the fingers and knuckles. What exactly is the purpose?

2. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

I think I know what you're talking about. But maybe not. :D

Are you talking about the ring and pinkie fingers being taped together? On the gloves anyways. I've heard that it helps protect the pinkie finger by making it less prone to being broken or bent back in the event of a rider going down. I've seen some of the higher end race gloves with the pinkie and ring finger stitched together.

I repeat though...but maybe not. :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's more likely talking about the tape on the hand and between the fingers. I think it's mainly for protection, keeps you from blistering.

4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Bingo. If the gloves aren't quite fitting properly, the tape protects the tender parts of the hand.

5. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^ interesting - i thought it was more for just general support/bracing.

6. sickgixxer33

sickgixxer33 Track Whore!!

Thanks for all the responses. I saw mladin last yr and it almost looked like he had padding under the tape just below his figers in the palm area.

7. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Is it a fitment issue or is it unavoidable? I always thought it was just a byproduct of the hand getting scrunched and pinched against the bars. I don't see how a glove could scrunch up to match the way the palm closes. I get calluses sometimes, but I've always just dealt with it. I also like to think my gloves fit pretty well, but you never know. If there is a way to prevent it (other than tape), that would be awesome.

8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Yes, its more for blisters. If you decide to do it, get the Elastikon tape and if anyone wants to see the best way to tape up the hands with this tape, see me at an AMA round.

Or I can basically try to explain it here. Pull enough tape to go from your fingertips to your mid forarm or elbow. Fold (lightly as you will have to pull it apart) and at the end that is folded, cut out three to four half-moons (when you open up the tape, they will be full holes. Depending on hand size, the pinkie hole may be to the end of the tape and wont be a full hole). Then cut the two ends lengthwise in the middle up about 3-4 inches. Open the tape up and slide over your hand, like a glove. Your fingers will go into the cut holes. Then, wrap both ends of the tape you cut length wise around the palm and back of the hand to "lock" it. Do this in the morning, take care when putting on and taking off the gloves to avoid rolling the tape and you should be good for the day.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Putin' on the foil?

10. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

Interesting. I figured if the gloves ain't fittin' right then you get new gloves that do. Or just man up and get the calluses.

11. PhiliDad

PhiliDad Well-Known Member

maybe the gloves get wet with sweat and stretch?

12. It is in case a fight breaks out. If it happens, their hands are already taped up like a boxer.

13. me b racin

me b racin Thermosman is my Hero

• It's because they are a bunch of pu&^%$#.
    • They use to much Lotion:rolleyes:
    • They don't spend enough time riding.
    • Manual Labor is something you find in Mexico.

I could be wrong.:D

14. Oh shit :crackup:

Well played :D

15. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

You want some?!

Dang I love that movie.

16. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Same thing I was thinking.

17. Carnage R1

Carnage R1 Well-Known Member

I've seen some guys wear latex gloves under their racing gloves.

18. I have heard of people doing that during the winter instead of buying/wearing cold weather gloves.

19. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

:stupid:

Yup, and it works. ;)

20. :crackup::crackup:

I got a little blister at VIR after not riding in a long time, but now a nice callus has formed so I should be good for the rest of the season.