1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5x8 Utility Trailer Set Up, Help........

Discussion in 'General' started by SUPER K, Mar 22, 2010.

1. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

I did a couple searches and followed a few links, but didn't find much on utility trailer set up, just enclosed set ups.

I just finished the basic platform for my economy bike hauler. Just a plain, simple 5x8, built a little heavy . (double duty for work). I'd like to keep things on the cheap side as I have around 200.00 in the trailer and funds are tight. I'm going to fab to Condor knock offs and I have E track available free at work.

Where to mount and how much E track would be functional? Rails around the perimeter, any ideas? Trailer nose, this is still unfinished and I have a huge aluminum cargo box from the side of a semi, problem is, it's to big and a bit heavy way up on the tounge. And my retarded ass mounted the jack so the topwind interferes with the box, so it's a bust on that box. I have two nice,long aluminum ramps, any tricks on storing them on a flat bed trailer? Any help or ideas would be much appreciated as I'm fairly new to track based riding and my primary use will be track days for some time before I decide to take a jump into club racing.
    [​IMG]

2. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

trlr

I think I would place the E/R, left side, center and right. Running front to back. For now, can you build a front shield to prevent rocks kicking up and hitting your bike. Once you get things up and running, make sure you go for a test ride before you get out on the open road. Safety first!:up:

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

you should get a pitbull trailer restraint. it opens up room to put a lot more on your trailer.........

4. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

I'd love one, but they're too rich for me. I could probably make one if I had the specs.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is a reason they cost what they do - because they're not a stolen design cobbled together by someone in their garage...

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I would weld some U bolts or something similar to tie down your bike and/or other needed things at the track. Maybe get yourself a removeable wheel chock to immobilize your bike.

Good Luck

7. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

I'm a professional cobbler, and I'm not planning on marketing them.
    Do I have to buy shiny expenssive stuff to fit in?

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Put 4 eye bolts through the deck and you'll be fine with some ratcheting straps. Make sure you use some big flat washers and lockwashers. You'll spend too much time and money screwing around with E track on that trailer. Make a box out of 2 x 6s for your front wheel, ratchet down the bars and foot pegs and you'll be fine.

If you have your heart set on E track you can put 2 strips down each side on the floor. There's an E track loop you can buy and then you ratchet to the D ring on the loop.
    Follow this link http://www.kinedyne.com/hardware/track-fittings.asp

I also didn't see a spare tire. Get one if you don't have one.

Look into Northern Tool for some tongue boxes, they should fit, will keep stones and debris off your bikes, and hold enough to get by unless you plan on going pro. Follow this link.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=tongue+box&Nty=1&D=tongue+box&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

9. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

Thanks Tony. That small plastic box from Northern looks pretty good. I'm not dead set on E track, we use it at work, I'm familiar with it, and its free minus the D rings. We have plenty of straps from kinedyne. I'm working on a spare.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

same here with the E track.

I've got about a lifetime supply but all the accessories get expensive after a while.

You can build your own tongue box as well, but by the time you build a piece of shit plus 30 trips to the hardware you'll be pretty close to what you could have spent to buy one.

11. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. But copying someone else's design is not cool.

13. AFORREST4

AFORREST4 Well-Known Member

These are the way to go! Add a couple hooks for your tie downs and a big tool box on the front and you should be ready!

14. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

So, who was first, STS or Pitbull? Baxley or Condor?

15. cspencer123

cspencer123 250R Must pedal faster

I saw somewhere where the ramps to load the bike were slid in under the trailer out of the way.

sounded like a good idea to me.

16. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

Harbor Freight always has 20% off coupons, and I've seen coupons for these chocks for $40 in the back of Cycle World and/or Motorcyclist.

17. EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Well-Known Member

Can you store the ramps under the trailer like on Car Haulers?

18. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I just have a stud sticking up w/a clip, bungey on the rear keeps ramp from moving around.

[​IMG]

If the front of your trailer lines up w/the bumper on your tow vehicle you're probably going to mash that jack soon enough. Then you can mount your box.