1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craigslister Says ur a FOOl for buying Race Tires

Discussion in 'General' started by Want2cmypa, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Want2cmypa

Want2cmypa Well-Known Member

Craigslister Says ur a FOOl for buying used Race Tires

What was this guy thinking???? Your not going to crash? Email him what you think: [email protected]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

no, he says you are a fool if you buy USED race tires.....and he is correct.

3. Want2cmypa

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

.. he's still correct. No racer/track rider I've ever met has ever bought race tires via Craigslist. The people buying takeoffs on craigslist are people who think, incorrectly, that race tires will give them better grip on the street.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I think he is right.

Race tires offer less grip on the street than street tires for an AVERAGE rider, and shagged race tires even less

But they look cool :lol:

6. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

I don't understand his motive for posting that. Is he selling something?

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

He might just be trying to help people. I know I've thought similarly at times.

8. Want2cmypa

Its in response to my for sale add of my take off Power Ones.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/1654117347.html

Im not trying to start no pissing match. But I have more traction running these on my street bike than Ive had running street tires on it. But i live in hot sunny FL. They were a lil skeetchy below 50 this winter for the first few minutes of riding.But Im not looking to rip nobody off or hurt anybody I ask if they have run take offs before and then still explain what they are to my fullest abbility. I remember three years ago riding my f4i as only means of transportation. And wishing i could have had this much of a deal on tires.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

street tires get used in the middle exclusively... at least in FL.
    regardless you wouldnt be putting the same heat in them you would at a track unless you like felony tix. :D

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Notice I say average rider.

Race tires take more to heat up than street tires. If you are not riding like a jackass on the street, you likely will never get race tires up to any level of heat as to provide more grip than a street tire.

Add to that, the minimal rain siping on a power one, as well as the low silica content, and they pretty much suck for the street.

Would I run takeoffs for the street? Sure. But I realize what I am getting into, and that I am NOT running tires that are better than street tires, for street use.

I think it is dangerous to try to advertise them as "better" in the sense of performance. They are good if you want to save money on rubber. Outside of that, nothing about them is "better" on the street at any responsible street riding pace.

11. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

:stupid:

12. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

i don't understand the argument about take-offs offering less grip on the street.
    Those are some bold statements calling a lot of people fools.
    Is it a blanket fact?
    Like, a take-off from an 8 lap sprint offers less grip than the tire that comes stock on katana?
    The modulus of rubber vs temperature relationship changes when you're on the street vs the track?
    I seriously don't understand the logic.

13. Want2cmypa

thanks for point that out cause you are right on that one. I just cant use all these tire... I know their not bad and somebody could use them.

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Street tires, by design, offer their best performance at street type pace and temps
    Race tires, by design, are resistant to heating up (or over heating) and offer their best performance at much higher temps and riding pace.

the wrench in the equation as of late are what I call "hybrid" tires. So, no. It cant really be a blanket statement anymore, with the advent of "trackday" tires, the hybrid tires that are designed to work well at both ends of the spectrum, as well as resist heat cycling etc. The term street tire encompases a very broad spectrum these days.

15. Want2cmypa

Neither do I. I dont know why people are so against race takeoffs. What I have learned to be the census of peoples opinion on race tires on the street is complete contrary to my personal experiences???? Like the salem witch trials kinda.

16. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

Yup, and yup, I think that makes sense.
    But if we're going to split hairs...
    I didn't think that race tires were more resistant to heating up, in fact I thought they were less resistant to heating up, but it seems that they must be, as you say, more resistant to overheating. Or getting 'greasy' like a street tire would if you tried to race on it. So race tires are clearly better on the track. But the problem I have is applying the logic in the opposite direction. Excluding rain, why wouldn't they be better on the street? From ambient, I think the race tires would already be better and only continue to get/stay better from a pure grip standpoint than street tires. No? (I have no hard evidence, but I've run race tires on the street and been happy with them) Also, I don't think you can say much about riding pace and/or lean angle. It's been hashed out a million times on this board and I thought the general consensus was that it's the carcas flex that builds the most heat. So as long you're pulling out of your driveway and driving a couple of miles on a street tire or race take-off, and we know it's carcas flex that builds heat, wouldn't you want the tire with the most flex? Like a take-off?
    The obvious downsides to race take-offs would be the original wear, worse rain performance, and you have to change them a lot more. Not hiding those things, I wouldn't steer a street rider away from them. And I haven't been racing for a while, so I don't have any to sell or any dog in this fight.

This one's come back many times, it's getting close to mythbuster material... Think they'll let me be the test rider/crasher?

17. corvette95

corvette95 Well-Known Member

It was a surprise to me but a couple of years ago I read an interview with a Dunlop tire engineer, he said regardless of temp, - again, don't flame me just repeating and I will try to search for the article, said that a race tires will offer better grip even on the street vs street tires.

18. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

My gut tells me the same thing.
    From a physics and materials engineering standpoint, it seems like race tires would be better. And from riding street on both street tires and take offs, I kinda get that feeling as well. But have NOT compared them back to back on the same road, same bike, same temps, etc..

People selling street tires are looking at different data.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IIRC, a lot has to do with the number of heat cycles the tire experiences over the useful life. Race tires are not formulated to last for nearly as many cycles as street tires. They may not be an ideal choice if you try to run them for a lot of cycles.

20. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

That makes a lot sense. The intersting question would be whether they just degrade with heat cycles down to an equivilent performance level of street tires or if they actually get worse before the rubber wears away.