1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Vehicle - Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'General' started by HRC-E.B., Mar 6, 2010.

1. jmanley

jmanley Well-Known Member

F150 with a 4.2V6 pulling a little single bike 4x8 box trailer. 12 mpg tops depending on the wind. I change my tranny fluid every spring and it needs it. Tranny cooler is a must. I don't have one and need it.

The way to go is: I have a cap on my truck with a lock for all my gear (and to sleep in) with the bike on a moto-tote carrier. 20mpg and i can fly. I do that every time i go on longer trips. Bike needs a good cleaning when i get there, but that is ok.

2. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Here's caboose pain-train.

I have to flip the ball/hitch upside down. The trailer is angled up a little at the moment, when i flip it around it should make the front about 2" lower so it will tuck in a wee bit better behind the Edge. I do have a fairly streamlined race operation, the trailer has room for the bike, generator, ez up, stands, tools, 2 rubber maid bins and the fold out bed as well as the tool box on the front for my gas cans. The Edge has room for my gear bag, luggage, futon mattress and cooler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  3. jmanley

jmanley Well-Known Member

i like the little box. Make it yourself? How did you attach it. On the rails alone or also bolted to the back?

4. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I bought the trailer like that, it's just 3/4" plywood but its rock solid. 4 U-bolts have it clamped to the two tongue rails.

5. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Diesel in Blaine and the Vancouver area is alot cheaper than premium.

6. Ssack55

Ssack55 Well-Known Member

Should be no problem with 735 ft/lbs of torque under the right foot, it will pull anything you want to hook to it and with no struggles! Mine is on order as well, May can't get here fast enough!!!

7. '04 Grand Marquis, 5x10 open trailer with two bikes and all the stuff. 17 mpg at highway speeds.

8. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

f150 5.4 4*4 yanking a 16*6 tall enclosed. 10.5mpg.

going to a 2500 duramax and a bigger trailer of some type. cant wait to feel the pull!!

9. MRA828

MRA828 Well-Known Member

Don't do it. I had a Tacoma w/the 3.4 V6 and towed a 5x8 enclosed. I got 10-11 mpg going 75. That put my fuel range at ~180-200mi max with the 18gal tank - which is a big hassle when travelling I-80 through WY (where you tend to pass a gas station @ 120mi on the odometer and the next viable town/gas is 100miles away).

I felt like I spent more time pulling off the highway for every gas station than I did driving...

Now I have a Chevy Silverado w/5.3l - and typically get ~12-13mpg pulling a 6x12 single axle enclosed.

10. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

i get about 12mpg pulling my 6x12 vnose tandem axle with my Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's a 4.0 V6. Has plenty of power for the job, but with only a 16G tank, I have to stop like 3 or 4 times going to Barber or Tally to get gas.

11. random hero

random hero Banned

Man I know the feeling... My FJ gets 10-12 in the mountains, can make for a spendy road trip w/my 12' enclosed loaded w/bikes and gear. Still LOVE my FJ though!

12. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm getting 39 mpg with my Golf TDI towing a Kendon double. The downside is that I have to carry extra sunscreen instead of a popup canopy. My tow setup is limited to 1100 lbs so it's not like I can haul a couple heavy bikes either.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i almost suggested that. It would certainly help deflect air over the trailer, and should be good for as much as 2 mpg improvement.

I actually have a lot of respect for the Chevy 4.3 V6, but I'm betting the difference in curb weight between the S10 and the Astro are what's really killing it in the OP's example.

an S10 or Blazer with the same engine might do considerably better.

how much does the 5x12 weigh?

I'm surprised the Astro only gets 16mpg on the highway without the trailer though... My ranger with a 4.0 V6 was good for at least 18mpg highway. I got as high as 22 with the AC off, and observing the speed limit (bike in bed).

14. k14

k14 Well-Known Member

Man this is crazy, just shows how lucky I have it! I use a Hyundai H100 2.7L diesel van to cart all my stuff around (never tow a trailor). The absolute worst I economy I will get is about 22.5mpg. Usually I can get pretty close to 25mpg if I don't speed. The limit in NZ is 100kph so I won't cruise any more than 110 (about 65mph) cause the cops are pretty nazi over here. But in saying that I probably only do 5000km race related per year. So its a completly different scene. I just can't understand why some people don't drive some japanese made vehicles. How hard is it to get a hiace over there?

15. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

we got to what what it is before we can get it. ???:confused:

16. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

Sounds like you got your MPG answer...but I'd worry more about the fact that you couldn't get the setup over 60. Was that an exaggeration?

That's a problem. Van won't last long like that. Even my wife's Rendezvous tows better than that. I would STRONGLY suggest adding the trans cooler ($100), and switching to the shorter tires when you get a chance (will change overall gear ratio).

17. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

opinions...... what trailer style would get the better gas mileage? dual,, single axle? I just got a 7x14 dual and i am towing with my Silverado SS 6.0 V8, gas mileage will suck for sure

18. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

My Dodge 2500 cummins gets about 12mpg pulling a 10,000lb 22' and only gets a couple more pulling a 6x12. It's all about aerodynamics(or lack thereof).

19. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

The trailer is a 6x12, 6'5'' tall inside, V-Nose, single axle. Weight is 1700 lbs empty, can be loaded 1800 lbs.

Weight isn't the issue. Accelerating from a stop isnt' any more difficult than accelerating with the van loaded. Read: easy.

Problem is on the highway. As soon as I hit bout 50 mph, it's like hitting a wall. The van will cruise somewhat comfortably between 50 and 55 mph at anywhere between 12 and 8 mpg depending on wind direction. If I downshift in 3rd from 4th, I can pull 66 mph tops, with the pedal to the floor in 3rd, accelerating in second initially to get there.

So it will tow it, but I'm pretty darn near the limit me thinks. I'll double check if the trans cooler is already on it. If it is, I might just try wearing the thing out until it won't go. It's all paid up (good!) but worth nothing as a trade-in (barely $3000, if that).

20. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

It's rare to find diesels here in the states, other than heavy duty trucks. Medium & light duty diesels just aren't available, aside from a few Volkswagen tdi's & the odd Benz or Volvo. My CRD Jeep is a rare exception, albeit one that never caught on and had a very limited production run of less than 10k units. Its a shame.