1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevlar Jeans??

Discussion in 'General' started by zracer196, Mar 6, 2010.

1. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

Anyone use these for light riding? I am thinking of the Shift Torque model.

While I would use my one piece leathers for serious riding, I really do not ride hard on the street...I bought a nice leather jacket and would like to get something to help on the lower end! Anyone have any crash experience in these type of jeans?

Thanks in advance!

2. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for True Religion to come out with a pair :up:

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Against my own better judgment, I've been wearing Kevlar lined "Dragin’ Jeans" for the past four or five summers. Fortunately, I haven’t had to test `em.

Although I ride fairly sanely off the track, I know that street asphalt is just as abrasive as track asphalt.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i've wanted to give these a try as well... the fact is that anything is better than nothing, and I just don't take the time/effort to wear riding pants when i commute.

i've never read a great review of any of the kevlar jeans out there, but they're certainly better than wearing denim.

5. blueninja

blueninja Well-Known Member

i sometimes wear draggin jeans on the street. the store front is located in my hometown (hickory, nc). when the owner was alive he would "test" the jeans at a special event in town. he would be chained to a truck and dragged down the street apporximately 400ft. denim would be gone, kevlar intact, owner was fine. the real downside is impact protection. i personally love'm :up:

6. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I have the shift torque. I have a few thousand miles on the current pair.

I used to have two different styles of Icon and I never really liked the way they fit. The shift are less expensive and fit like my regular jeans. They've held up really well. Not sure if they'll do anything if I crash but at least I feel better.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i wonder about friction. jeans and leather drag. will kevlar have you skippin' off into the distance only to be stopped by the next available obstacle in your trajectory?

8. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I wear Kevlar Draggin' Jeans whenever I ride on softly-paved roads, i.e., never.

I've been telling my customers the same thing for 38 years: "It's always the same distance from the seat to the street, so gear up every time you mount up.."

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Tom, I felt that way for decades. The past few years the Texas sumemr heat has become more of a problem for me. I found myself not riding sometiems simply because I didn't want to put on the `stitch.
    After 40-odd years of riding, I decided I would compromise on some of my gear rather than stop riding.

10. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's me too. Very hot summers here in Florida. Not a fan of mesh jackets either, but it makes a ride possible without melting down. If not, I'd rather drive my car. Sad, but true. Especially commuting with traffic, etc.

11. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Same here, I even still ride with denim jeans part of the time. Still, no one has chimed in that actually has crashed with kevlar jeans. I'd be interested in any report on mesh jacket crashes, also. Lots of people have opinions, but no one seems to have crashed in them. Maybe that's how they protect - wear a mesh jacket and kevlar jeans and you never hit the ground. :)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The material feels like denim, it's not a problem. Kevlar race suits actually grabbed more on the track causing riders to tumble more than leather so people really didn't like them.

13. 97BladeRider

97BladeRider Too old for this sh!t

They'll last twice as long in a crash as regular denim. So, that equates to maybe sliding 50 feet.

I'll stay with leather, thank you.