1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw s1000rr

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Annnnd she fills her Depends again when we can't cimb on the BMW wagon.

It's gotta be painful to finish 20 and 13 seconds back at Phillip Island, when you hold the track record. It's sad to think that is how Corser might be finishing his career; on a turd.

Offer still stands; I'll convert anyone's SS1000R to run on diesel and waste oils, for free.

Go Chip!

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

On the WERA board assuming that only 2 members have ever owned a superbike engine?? Does that make any sense at all? :confused:

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Them Superbikes be rare.

I'm dying to hear about them 500cc GP bikes. I heard no one has ever owned one of those things.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Groundbreaking?

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Digging a hole. Good guess tho ;)

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It was the nice shiney shovel......

[​IMG]

7. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

No boss, wasnt referring to the board in total. I was only referring to those participating in this particular thread. I still cant understand why anyone that has had a modern SBK build would suggest it to someone for trackday use, hence the reason i figured nobody on this thread has been through that.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Ahh, yeah not too many in the thread.

A superbike for trackdays is not a normally recommended thing but if a guy has the money I say go for it.

The nice thing is that today's modern superbikes are easier to handle than those of a few years ago. At least that's what I've been told. I don't have the skill for it to be an issue. I just know how to change parts on them. :)

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Then we are going to get into the issue of what constitutes a superbike motor.

If you start with a production S1000RR motor. Then you make new pistons, cut the head and reduce the combustion chamber size. Yadda yadda yadda.

Then BMW changes the specs on the motor to replicate what was done and puts those changes into production. Is it still a superbike motor?

10. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

Chip...I'll send you one tommorrow. 215RWHP?

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

No, that makes it a Buell. :p

12. Germany

Germany I'm new, don't hate...

not to sound like a dick or a dummy, but that is a bit low in my opinion. I belive a guy on the german board got that with a pipe, airfilter and a different bosch ecu. I post a link, if I find the dyno chart he posted.

I would guesstimate that you could get at least 220rwhp with motor updates, thats at least what I filter from everyone talking on the German forum.

13. Chip

Chip Registered

Not to sound like a dick....but until one gets here on our dyno and then we build one....I don't believe anybodies dyno numbers.

14. Germany

ok, sounds fair. I see if I can steal the motor from Xaus... I hear he has some without a good frame...

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

:crackup::crackup:

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Some have claimed that the ECU alone limits the output of the bike, and if it can be hacked and "unlocked" like some outfits have done with the R6 annd R1, that the bike produces even more HP.

I guess it's a good thing it has available traction control considering alot of test riders found the bike too powerful in slick mode to begin with.

17. Germany

I have a buddy who works for Bosch R&D and one of his friends works on the ECU for BMW, and that is pretty much what he said.
    But than again thats what he said, after his friend said...

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If that is the case, what I'm curious of is whether they did that to keep the HP levels down to something that won't completely launch Joe Schmoe into orbit (lets face it, a "typical" liter bike has more HP than most riders can effectively use in the first place).

...or

Did they do it to keep the stresses on the internal parts down to an acceptable level for reliability's sake.

19. Germany

As far as I understood when I talked to him he said the first reason, but I belive the second one is also a issue. S1000RR leaving the Berlin Plant after today will only rev to 9000RPMs until you fullfill your 1000km / 6xxmiles.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's interesting. What if you have a bike that is destined for the track right out the crate? You have to putz around on it for 600 miles before you can really get on it? As I understand it, the bike doesn't really start making power until 9K rpm and then it really takes off.....kind of like a liter class R6.