1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat height: superbike tail vs stock seat

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HydrickJ, Feb 22, 2010.

1. HydrickJ

HydrickJ Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm going from an old r1 (roomy) to an 07 gsxr600 this year for trackdays, and i'm in the process of ordering some race bodywork for it. Just wondering if anyone has any input regarding seat height difference between using a superbike tail and foam vs a stock seat setup. I'm asking because I'm tall (6'4") and benefit greatly from the most seat height possible. Furthermore, does anyone run lots of/thicker foam on the sbk tails to bump a little more height?
    -joe

2. Carey322

Carey322 Well-Known Member

What brand bodywork are you buying? I have 2 superbike tails, 1 Sharkskins and 1 Armour Bodies. Armour Bodies is close to stock seat, and sharkskins is a little higher. (Both have 1/2" foam)

Not sure about other brands.

3. HydrickJ

HydrickJ Well-Known Member

this would be a factory bodywork superbike tail. So I can at least be pretty confident that it wont be lower than stock..?

4. Carey322

Carey322 Well-Known Member

Not sure, but you can always use thicker foam. I've used dense 1" foam and it worked well, durable and didn't compact alot when sitting on it. Neoprene foam I think? Got it here.

http://www.bobsfoam.com/index.html

5. Triple R

Triple R Well-Known Member

I had an Optimal SBK tail that I HATED!

The bottom of the SBK tail had a bridge piece of FG (about 1 inch thick) that went from side to side and sat way to high! I had to cut 2 notches in it for it to sit correctly on the sub frame. After all said and done it still sat way to high for my liking! I swapped it out for a SS tail and never looked back since!

GL!

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Love the Sharkz superbike tail on my 2003 R1. I am 6'2" and I didn't really notice any difference in seat height, but for me 1/2" foam is much better than a padded seat in my opinion for track use. It seems to be the best of both worlds, gripper fore / aft when in the seat and accelerating hard or braking hard and easier for me to move side to side because I don't have to lift up as far to be completely out of contact with the seat. I imagine the seat height vs. stock varies not only manufacturer to manufacturer but even bike to bike for a given manufacturer.