Which Brand of Tires and Why

Discussion in 'General' started by R Hood, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Guess I'm the odd man out here. I've run Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli and after a few laps I couldn't give a sh*t which one was on my bike. They are all fantastic tires with only subtle differences.
    I run Michelins because they last a bit longer. How ironic, my choice is based on high milage [​IMG].

2. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Last year I used good ol' Metzeler Comp K's on my GS. Nothing like an outdated tire for an outdated bike [​IMG]. But seriously, I wasn't very fast, so they worked well.

This year I'm going the Bridgestone route because I picked up an SRX and it has an 18" rear. The previous owner ran the BT56SS and I've heard good things from an FZR racer (see wera176's post above).

I plan on using the BT96 for the GS this year for three reasons: price, availability, and performance. The BT96's don't cost anymore than the Comp K's, are available trackside, and are an updated compound.

And if Tracee uses Bridgestones, why shouldn't I? [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Greg Gabis (edited 02-28-2001).]

3. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

UMMM.....Tom?

4. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I have never had a tire induced crash since I've been on the Stones. Can't say that for brand x when I was using them.

5. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

That's pretty lucky, Tracee. All my crashes are tire-enduced: they don't stick when I do something stupid.

Damn tires.

6. Tracee Polcin

Don't do anything stupid and you should be fine. [​IMG]

7. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

Richard,

Michelin Pilot's here. I tried Michelin DOT race tires a couple of years ago, and liked them. Last year, switched to Pilot Race Softs, and love the feedback. At a trackday, I tried the 'stones, and the rear felt wooden. Went back to Michelin, and been there ever since. I would like to try Michelin slicks, but they don't make a decent rear to fit the 4.5". For my style, I've gotten great grip and feel, and they were predictable when they let loose. When hot that is, when cold, know your limits!

I wonder if you can mix them and run a Michelin Pilot race rear, and a slick up front? Are the belts similar? Why is the sky blue? Who's on first?

[This message has been edited by Hubbard (edited 02-28-2001).]

8. Tracee Polcin

I have used a similiar set up but with the Stone's and it worked with no problems.

9. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

[This message has been edited by Greg Gabis (edited 02-28-2001).]

10. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

My brother uses Pirelli/Metzeler. Last season he had 4-3rd, 12-2nd, and 4-1st place finishes. He paid for 1 set of tires all season, and used new tires each race weekend. How can you beat good tires that pay for themselves. He likes them.

11. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

I don't know if P/M has come out with some radically new rubber compound, but they don't stick for shit compared to Dunlops. I used to be a Metzeler fan. Going around the first few laps on an icerink was expected, I thought. They are cheaper for a reason, THEY SUCK!!! With Dunlops, you can go out the first lap balls out without worry. They do however wear much quicker. As for Michelin's, I've only tried endurance comp. They seem pretty good when they are well heated, but nowhere near the grip Dunlops give.
    I may try the new Pirellis this season though.

12. wera122

wera122 Guest

P/M tires have improved greatly from years of old. I've never used Dunlops so I can't compare. What it all boils down to is rider preference considering all factors such as grip, cost, tire life, vendor support and contingency. Today's racing tires are great and you just need to make the choice that's right for you. Personally, I like the grip and feel of the Pirellis, as well as all the other factors I've listed. I use tire warmers before each race and have never had a problem going WFO on the first lap.

Last month at TGPR, Lee Acree went out and ran a 1:04 on the first lap of the race from a standing start. [​IMG] He didn't slip or slide a bit and the Pirellis stuck like glue. [​IMG]

13. HNIC 102

HNIC 102 Well-Known Member

Ran Michelins all last year,still have a few sets but soon as they are gone will try Pirelli since they are paying alot more than Michelins.

14. tingle74

tingle74 Well-Known Member

Hey Mike/Hood,

I'm going to try the P/M this year. The slicks though. [​IMG] I'm confused Mike if they suck why is everyone talking about them? They must not of sucked for Cobb. How about Acree, Arclight,etc.ect. or Muggeridge last year and he was on a Honda like you. [​IMG] I think it's a preffernce what you like. In '98 (on 97 zuk6) I tried the Michelins when they weren't suposed to be as great as the new 207's. On the same day at Summit ran the mich. in one race and 207's in another = same exact lap times(1st year novice and won). It's all in what you like. Also the M/P have been making new compounds since you tried them so they don't have such of a hard tire now.

My preference on tire is ..hmmm.. I'll know after I try the M/P's. I tried at Carolina in '99 the stones' pilots 207's. Didn't like the stones the front chatterd and rear cold tear. Pressures were correct. Dunlops like them ok. Michelins were fine just took them a little longer to warm up. It might be what track your at and how you feel about what your riding on but, I'm going to try the M/P this year beacause their the only tire I haven't tried. I say ride on what your comfortable on no matter how much a tire costs or what everybody else says which ever makes you feel good will make you ride good. Just my two cents.
    So when is your first race going to be Mike?

15. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Hey man, sorry I didn't reply sooner! You and your brother coming down for the Putnam track day? I met you guys there last year in Oct... Little red/blk/white FZR..

Anyhow, I started the season on K591s. They actually worked ok, predictable slides, warmed up ok, etc. I tried a set of BT56ss and loved 'em! Not to mention they are slightly cheaper than the K591s, I liked their feel even better. Another 400 rider, Doug #48, ran a 56ss and 58 combo last year (I think the 58 was on front) but at the end of the year he had a 96 on the front that he really liked, so I may give them a shot. I have a decent set of 56 on now, so I'll wear them out first.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

let me know when your ready to try them (96 front 56ss rear) and ill ship you a set

17. Hubbard

Asking for a friend.

Does Pirelli make tires for 125?

18. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I got your email the other day, and I may just do that!

Thanks!

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

anytime.

i dont think pirelli makes 125 tires.
    i can get you a set for $240

20. Hubbard

He uses Michelins now, but we were wondering, since the contin. page lists Pirelli paying in the 125 class.