1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing in the Rain

Discussion in 'General' started by stickman, Mar 19, 2003.

?

Do you race in the rain

1. Always

56 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Sometimes

35 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. Never

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Just wondering how you folks feel about racing in the rain.

2. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

Cost to much to register for a race to miss it! :D

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

1st vote at never.
    My one and only time was at Summit, and it wasn't fun at all.
    If riding in the rain is the key to becoming a better rider, then it's safe to say that i'll be stuck at mediocre for eternity. I got into racing because it's fun. Rain eliminates that degree of fun for me. I have no desire to bin my shit doing parade laps.

4. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

I hate rain...

I never raced in the rain until I moved up to expert. Now I always do and normally don't enjoy it very much. Only do it for the points... :D

5. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

The only place I won't race in the rain is Roebling. Too much sealer on the track.

6. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Never...battin' .500 in the rain. One trophy and one 130mph-lose the front end-slide down the front straight at Roebling.

7. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

I second that!!

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Try the Gravity Cavity in the rain:eek:

9. Slick-101

Slick-101 Well-Known Member

I always said "Slick does NOT race in the rain." And I never did even try til this weekend at VIR. Then I said "I paid all this money (pre registered for the Solo's and 3 sprints, drove 5 hours etc etc etc) so I'm gonna try it."

It wasn't nearly as hairball as I thought it would be. I managed not to crash but saw tons of carnage out there.

All in all I'd do it again since I now have rain tires. Plus I had the best results I've ever had but I'm not kidding myself - the grids were MUCH smaller and I bet a lot of really fast guys just didn't go out.

I'm gonna try to run all of the Mid Atlantic series and this gave me good points which means good starting positions for next round...

MY $.02

10. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

Always!
    Rain or shine...racing's racing.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  11. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Always

Wet or dry, no big deal. Its not that I love racing in the rain, it just seems that most others like it alot less then I do.

12. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

Done it! was way ahead of those guys, too. for a while... :rolleyes:

13. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

If you ever want to win a championship you better learn to race in the rain. Doesn't mean you have to like it though. ;)

Since we race endurance we show up no matter what the forecast. Like Slick (YOU SUCK SLICK! :p ) said, you paid all that money (check out the endurance entry fees! :eek: ) and you can't get a credit just because it's raining, so you might as well mount the rains and go out and splash in the puddles. :D

14. lance

lance Well-Known Member

I have raced in the rain at road a and at robeling rd. robeling can be a little tricky in the road a was not bad at all except for turn 7

15. Shane Hucks

Shane Hucks Active Member

I would regardless. Hell, I even liked it. Thats where I got my 2nd win was at cmp in the rain. And I will def. agree about RR, that was my first ever rain race, what a real eye opener that was. Anyway, havent raced in a couple years due to injury, and no it was not in the rain, so for you that do this year, be careful and good luck.

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Rain is the shite:) It teaches you body position, throttle control, and so much more.I dig it:clap: :eek:

17. kyle ray

kyle ray huuhh, he said member

always!!!!

beause most don't like to, it works out well for those of us that do. of course i'm typing this with a broke collar bone from racing in the rain........

kyle

18. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Racing in the Rain

Yeah, what he said! I found that my normal lines are great rain lines. (Does that mean I'm slow? Why yes, I believe it does!) I found myself passing people that I only ever saw at the grid, but then it dried up and they went back to spankin' my arse! I think it helped I was on a relatively stock FZR400 with good DOTS. I could almost ride the same way I did in the dry! (Does that mean I'm slow? Why yes, I believe it does!)

I also enjoyed watching Chris Nicholoff beat the 996s and TLRs handily on his 125!

19. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

I don't mind racing in the rain once I get to doing it. It's sitting in my pit area being nice and dry, dreading having to go out and ride in the rain that really bothers me. Or when it's one of those days where it rains than stops than rains again and you're sitting there trying to figure out which tires to put on. Once I get out and start riding I enjoy myself.

20. sigliteF4

sigliteF4 3r337 h4x0r

skeeeered!

I went out in the rain for *one* practice lap at VIR this weekend. It was enough to convince me to NEVER EVER do that again on DOTs. Once I collect a set of wheels and get some rains, I might give it a go.

Since I'm not fast enough yet to even consider being in a points chase, I'm going to continue to let caution be the better part of valor.