1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input on Calabogie?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by suspect74, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ikilledkenny

ikilledkenny Well-Known Member

strippers@ottawa,

pro6 lunch

bogie nice.

2. 1qwik6?

1qwik6? Well-Known Member

Bogie doesn't allow more than 35 bikes on the track at any one time. How crowded can it be?

3. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Getting back to the prices going up for the facility rental, Calabogie is holding 54+ bike days this year (Pro6 and Turn2). What kind of safety improvements are they going to make because of the increase in price? Phrasing it another way, how has the product improved to warrant such an increase in price? This is all just speculation, because the reality is that Ontario/Quebec has no other premier circuit to ride at and people will pay their prices to ride.

4. Booster750

Booster750 Member

I ran Bogie with SSR last year. If you want to do a multi-day trip, stop whineing and go.:up: All the advice is sound: Go for at least 2 days to get the most out of it. Passport and bike title is a must. Go easy for the first half day to learn the track, there are several fast corners that look the same, fast straights and a quick way to get in trouble. The track offers many different corner challenges. Book rooms early, bring generator, great shower and bathrooms, the photo service for hero shots is excellent and reasonable. Corner workers are very professional. Most unmodified after market exhausts with or without sound reducing core or slip ons will pass. GP Style, Shorties, reverse cones, modified and cored may be an issue. Check it before you go, once you get there there aren't much resources to fix it. Plenty of wide open track, have fun.

5. suspect74

suspect74 Well-Known Member

I don't have the title for my bike so that might be an issue... thanks for the heads up.

6. 1qwik6?

Been doing track days in Canada since 04, never an issue. Still a good idea to have some proof of ownership so that A. border patrol sees its not stolen, and B. that you didn't buy it in Canada w/o paying all the taxes. The messed up thing is, as an American, its harder to get back into my own country than it is to leave. Border Patrol for the American side can have some winners lemme tell ya. Just put on the polite switch no matter what.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Ontario has Mosport which is also primo. And cheaper.

8. Bifferone

Bifferone Well-Known Member

Calabogie is a sick track. Surface and traction is mint. If there is a chance of rain, get to the track the day before and early afternoon if you can so you can get a spot next to the hot pit lane wall. Otherwise, the water runs downhill and you pit site will get soaked.

As far as the border is concerned, passport is a must, tell the truth about everything no matter what and leave your trailer unlocked so the patrol can open it at will just to take a peak. I've had them open the back of the trailer for a quicky while sitting at the booth. I have only been asked if I owned the bike but never been asked to show proof.

And do not bring any more than a 6-pack of beer per person over the border or they will request some $$$. Plus, you do not need anymore than that for a 2 day trackday weekend.

Go toWalmart and you can pick up a mosquito net for around $30. A MUST HAVE. Get your pit situated after riding, get showered up and put the netting up around the canopy. You will regret it if you don't. Learned my lesson the first weekend.

You'll need a generator if you are wishing power for anything. And it does get cold up there at night.

As far as the pricing is concerned, I'll be hard pressed to do more the a weekend this year. Last year January, I purchased 5 days (4 Bogie 1 Mosport) and with the discount package and exchang rate at the time, I paid $140 US per trackday. This year is $100 more per day, I'll be keeping my US$ in the US and hit some tracks I'd usually never hit.

Mosport's layout is super fast. Bring a litre bike. 600cc's get smoked everytime. And the surface is less than desireable. Concrete patches in every corner. That place needs a serious resurfacing. Cars chew up that pavement severely.

9. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Don't forget to go to shooters around the corner and eat diner!

10. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

It is easy to pass the sound test, NO ONE WATCHES YOUR RPM. so you just rev it to 5-6000rpm. oh and the strippers are the best. They do things. dirty things. I know. I live there. And the track is great to ride on but racing it was a bit scary.

11. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Is the mosquito net needed for the day, or only after dusk?

I thought there were a few nearby ski related places that had lodging as well? Maybe it's further than they say it is.

One benefit to these higher prices is maybe there won't be as many sold out weekends. That is quite a price jump if you're used to a group discount.

I was all set to try Mt. Tremblant until I heard from a few people that it's not all that. Minimal run off and not a very well kept surface. Can't verify this, but it's what I heard from a racer in Canada. Sucks, cause the area is beautiful with lots of places to stay.

12. 1qwik6?

Who cares, its a track day :rolleyes:

13. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Screw that tell us more about the strippers!

14. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

The netting is only needed after 6+ PM as the sun starts to go down. During the day it is fine, no problems.

I heard the opposite about Mt. Tremblant. It has the same type surface as Calabogie, Alan Wilson designed the makeover, and the run-off is comparable (again, I have only heard from people and viewed pictures, I have yet to ride it). I REALLY want to give it a go sometime!

15. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

Tremblant is equal to a gp track in europe. so sad we do not race there anymore. same dicks running DMG as here. some track days, but, at $350 per day and you have to sign up for two days. F*CK that. But the stippers in QUEBEC. omg. you better wear a body condom, cause you WILL get dna on you. god I love Canada.

16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Heh....

Growing up in London Ontario, I really had nothing to compare to... although in college I did get a dj job at the Beef Baron in London for a while... it was a lot of fun to be sure.

But when I was visiting Three Rivers, Quebec - oh my... strippers. French strippers. EXTREMELY uninhibited French strippers... that set the bar to be sure.

After college, I moved to Chicago... all I know is - we do not know of good strippers in the country. We are sadly repressed in that department.

Yes, when in Canada... visit the nearest peeler joint - make sure you bring lots of toonies.....

t

17. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

Dave my man... Would you agree that the faster you go the more technical it gets?

18. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

Maybe the track raised it's rental rate, maybe insurance rates went up...

19. AngeloX19

AngeloX19 Active Member

I'll quote Sheena, since she posted this on the local board:

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let all of you who don't already know, the reason for the Calabogie and Mosport price increase for 2010. Last season, many of you were informed but I'll gladly put it in print.

In Nov/Dec of 2008 when we worked out our price structure for the 2009 season it was most certainly structured around, among other elements, the rider/group limit at Calabogie, which at that time, was 50 riders/group.

We sold many dates to our clients from the December bike show until mid March '09 when we were informed of a new bylaw being enforced on CMP by the town which decreased the rider/group limit to 35 for sound reason.

Despite this and how it affected our bottom line, we elected to keep our prices the same for the remainder of the 2009 season (even still offering discounts to keep it fair) and continued to run some events at a loss.

Both Mosport and Calabogie have also increased the track rental fee this season.

For Mosport this season we will also be running 40/group after we felt that the track was too crowded with 50.

We try very hard to please our clients and informed many by word of mouth last year that there was going to be a price increase due to these reasons.

Calabogie has also been increasing their infrastructure and we will have a Pro6 Dunlop tire store/home base (eliminating the trailer) for next season, situated at the east end of the upper paddock.

We (Pro6) have also been consistently improving our events, safety, coaching, lunch and trackside service (Accelerated Technologies and Bickle racing as well as our Dunlop tire service).

We also have $99.00 Shannonville events next season with lunch included.

We apologize that we cannot meet everyone’s needs and wishes but, as for many of you, our cost of living has been steadily increasing as well.

Thank you for your support.

Sheena Noce

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Well, let me be the first to say that some of us appreciate the smaller group sizes. Kind of wish it was for safety reasons, but hey, I'll take it anyway it happens. I'll be signing up for July/August this year for sure.

Getting a little tired of giant, out of control grids here in NJ :Poke: