1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

difference between NSR250 and (honda) RS250..

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by funfetti, Jan 25, 2010.

1. funfetti

funfetti Banned

I take it one is the GP bike, and the other is a street bike? is that right? what exactly are the differences between the two?

google'd it already!

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Completely different bikes.Maybe a few bolts and what not may interchange.Suspension is a big difference.Not sure about the exact chasis measurements.Brakes on RS actually make the bike stop.Powervalve set up on the RS is electric.NSR is mechanical.Theres an extra ring on the pistons of the NSR.The weight of the NSR is probably 60-70 lbs heavier.Horsepower is probaly 10-15 difference depending on state of tune.

3. nsr250man

nsr250man Well-Known Member

NSR RS differences

Neat subject. I am an NSR experienced builder and rider, and I can state some differences that may not have been mentioned in the previous replies. There are also a number of NSR websites to get the real info, but I will try to do a quick answer.

RS has powervalves with a servo motor and mechanical linkage, NSR uses a servo motor with cables and pulleys.

RS after '94 and prior to '02 had a single sided swingarm, but the wheel mounted from the left side vs. the NSR mounting from the right side. RS was a right side chain drive when it had the single sided swingarm.

Frames, swingarms, wheels, suspension, brakes, electrics, carbs, all different. By the way NSR brakes are damn good with some full floating rotor buttons and a set of Lyndall pads. Older model RS parts '93 and older, could mount in the NSR setup, and Japan gov't was upset about de-restricted hp, so they told Honda to make sure none of the power parts after '93 could be retro-fitted. This is why the MC28 credit card model NSR was made. It was a way of restricting the bike no matter how cool it is (I love these bikes). We all figured out after the fact how to derestrict teh MC28, but not to the hp level of an RS. As mentioned the RS can easily be 15 - 20 + hp more.

Not sure what you want to do, but an NSR can easily be made street legal in the USA if you know the right people. They are still a handful on the street, and need to be tuned constantly, but they are so cool. I have my racebike street legal, and it is fun, but mcuh better on the track. I would not recommend this for an RS though. Strictly a racebike and super cool and fast fast fast.

If you ever want a race or street MC28 NSR250 drop me a line.
    [email protected]

4. funfetti

funfetti Banned

Thanks for the reply! It explained a lot, and I will continue to research it. I actually have my RS on the street, but it's nor a 250, or a honda. thanks again!

5. yam rookie

yam rookie Member

6. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

The Aprilia RS250 has not been made since 2004. They were always RGV250 motors tuned a bit by Aprilia.

7. yam rookie

yam rookie Member

Thanx, I wasnt aware of that. So TSS is trying to push sales on that package they offer for a bike that isnt being made anymore.
    Doesnt seem like smart marketing does it..?

8. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

Wait a second. You're saying it's only smart to sell parts, packages, etc for motorcycles that are in production?

1. Ducati 916
    2. First generation SV650
    3. Multiple generations of GSXRs that aren't made anymore
    4. Multiple generations of CBRs that aren't made anymore
    5. Multiple generations of R1s and R6s that aren't made anymore

All these bikes have huge aftermarket parts, packages, service, etc being done on them.

People know that Aprilia made a great chassis with the RS250. So TSS uses the chassis but swaps the motor.

9. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

Since it's a streetbike, the nsr will of course need far less maintenance. Being a true gp bike the rs will need a lot more regular maintenance - top end every few hundred miles of track use, crank inspected/replaced somewhere around 12-1500? That said the gp bikes are made to be worked on so real easy to disassemble for maintenance.

I have an mc28 I both ride on the street and race. Tons of fun and if de-ristricted with a pipe and a few mods make decent power . . . just not as much as an rs or tz.

10. yam rookie

yam rookie Member

The bikes you listed are all street bikes first off, and are legal for sale world wide as such. I would be willing to bet, 1 year, of any 1 of those bikes on that list has a higher sales number, than all RS sales total. Also, the companies selling those parts have millions to keep them afloat while development goes on, and gearing up for production. TSS is a small privately owned shop. Im saying it was not a very smart move for a small shop such as TSS to invest all of that time and money on a kit for a bike that has very low production numbers to begin with and has been out of production for the last 6 years now. A better move for TSS may have been to develope the kit. as a prototype, Get 2 well sorted out prototype models complete. Then demo those to a company with deeper pockets for marketing. Then work out a deal to be the sole distributor for the kit when it goes into production.

11. RGB500

RGB500 Member

For the original poster. The closest in relation between the NSR's & RS250's was the `88-'89 NSR250 (MC18), and the '88-'92 RS250. They looked similar, and the majority of the chassis parts are interchangable.
    After that, they started to take on different directions.

`93 Honda RS250 GP bike
    [​IMG]
    `93 Honda NSR250 street bike
    [​IMG]

12. yam rookie

yam rookie Member

Mr. RGB500 have you got your TSS craddle yet..?