1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are drugs really that addictive?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by maine11204, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Dan_DGAF666

Dan_DGAF666 Well-Known Member

i "had" a good friend addicted to those very very bad roxys.

YES YES YES Drugs are very additing except mary jane of course its just a gate way drug. LOL

2. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Probably within the time it took me to write this. It's called "lung cancer." Smoking kills more Americans that any other drug.

3. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

No time to play right now, I think have to work again this Sun though 7-7, I should have time to discuss it then.You know there is one thing that hasn't been mentioned in all this addiction talk:moon::D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I will concede in an effort to NOT pollute this thread, Im fully aware of the after effects of smoking. TY!

And thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed the read.

5. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

You posted while I was editing.

6. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

You do know there is a difference between chemical addiction and alcoholism? You can quit any simple chemical addition with will power / detox if physically necessary. Alcoholism is classified as a disease by the american medical association and has been for a long time before insurance companies were paying for treatment. The only alcoholics who blame anyone other than themselves are the ones who are still drinking. Just because you quit smoking doesn't classify you to know about the subject. You simply will powered your way out of chemical dependency.

read this http://www.physiciansnews.com/commentary/298wp.html

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

quitting pleasure is hard. how many here have returned to racing/riding.

quitting is also hard when what you do is an escape.

you want to see people quit, put a challenge in front of them, like quit smoking, most willl quit on quitting.:D

8. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Nope.
    Pussy is the most addictive drug around. Even women love it too. :up::D

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just another form of crack and just as destructive.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Pussies. It is not just for LWN!:D

I still say, much of the problem in life can be adverted, if you know when to step away.

11. gs

gs Well-Known Member

all you need to know how to do in life to fight any addiction....is THROTTLE UP AND PASS

12. speedfree

speedfree not so slow as all that..

thanks RubberChicken, for taking the time to write the response. the BBS constantly surprises me with the number of people who can form an intelligent, well-reasoned response.

i just celebrated 8 years clean & sober, and like others have said - my situation is basically the same, but i'm better about dealing with it. addiction is some crazy shit & there will always be a large element of society who can never understand why we addicts do/have done the things we do (the aforementioned "pieces of shit..."), why we can't just stop on willpower alone.

for me it is a disease of the spirit. can't explain it better than that, and i sure don't know why me. my dad was also alcoholic, and my mother's mother. it makes it easier for me to believe it's a genetic flaw in there somewhere. God gave me this challenge so that i could develop a Faith that again, a large sector of humanity can never understand. the good part about that is that since beginning my own recovery, i could give a shit whether i'm "understood," or not. what i do works for me, and that's a blessing for nearly everybody who knows and/or loves me. it's anonymous, b/c it's a personal choice, and a personal journey.

to the OP, yeah - it really *can be* that bad. but there's a way out that almost universally works, and it starts with not taking that first drink/drug and starting the madness all over again. the consequences have to become personal and severe enough for each addict, though, which sadly doesn't always happen. i can't count the number of friends i've lost to addiction, because they "weren't that bad" yet...

13. maine11204

maine11204 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the honest answer. Deep stuff.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Hmmm does heroin, crack, booze, or weed... nag, whine, or complain after you hit it??? :D

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

:up:

8 years for me in a few months.

16. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

re drugs addicting?? yes some are physically and some are more mental.I grew up in a very broken home.Mom worked 3 jobs and I was always wandering around.Hung out with the wrong group and did alot of drugs.The 1 drug that was the worst was heroin.I was addicted badly for 3 years. 15-18.Multiple rehabs and 3 oversoses.2 times I was legally dead.You nay sayers that claim drugs aren't addicting look up heroin users for once.When I went to my last rehab that helped me quit.I grew deathly ill for almost 2 weeks.I had to stay strapped to a bed for all 2 weeks.Never let out for any reason.I am glad because I would have killed anyone to get out of there.I have lost good friends and buried a few to this drug.Out of everyone I knew I am the only 1 to kick the habit.To this very day I can still feel the yearning in my body for the drug.When I am sad or depressed the yearning gets worse and I have been clean for 12 years except for 1 relapse.In rehab I quit smoking,cocaine,crack,alchol all easily,but heroin almost killed me.

So in all honestly if you have experienced a real hard addiction you ar only commentin on what you have no clue over.

17. Hooked on that track pipe.

18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Interesting the phenomenon of addiction and how drugs affect different people differently... I badly broke my leg recently, the break itself was beareable but once they started treating is where it got funky.

At different times, I was given morphine, percocet and/or Dilaudid in both forms (oral and injection) at the hospital. The doses were fairly small, maybe 10-15mg injections but never have I felt a major relief effect. At home I was on oral dilaudid which is reportably strong stuff, it helped me sleep for bouts of one, maybe two hours. Mind you the biggest dose I took was 6mg/4hours during the night. This regime lasted a little more than three weeks and, besides the constipation, the effect of the drug was fairly small, ...so I decided to stop.

Fucking Ouch!...

When I didn't think I was agonizing over food poisoning, I thought I was about to give birth to 'Alien'... Finally realised I was going through withdrawal and I had to go back on the drug. I wasn't addicted, ...but my body sure was!

Granted I stayed in the small doses but I honestly didn't get the attraction to the stuff... (thankfully!)

19. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I'm sure you do.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Doesn't the "clean" clock gets reset to zero after every relapse? That's what they say in the movies. :)