1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graves Contingency

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously? You got all of that out of a bike being $40k completely set up?

How much cash do you have in your bike?

I think a lot of you are deluding yourselves on what you've spent. I've got 18k in my Hypermotard and it's not even race ready.... The Harley used was $16k. The Buell is the only thing cheap thanks to HD's bean counters.

2. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Is it all that uncommon for several to have, at most, the price of a brand new bike + $5-$6k in prep work? Say, $16,000? Heck, even $20k or $23k. No doubt it won't have all the bells, whistles, and oh-so-cool GMS polished parts. But to believe most can/will drop $40k on a bike to be 'competitive' is, to me, a little far-fetched. No doubt, there are some. If most can, I stand corrected and the reality check is mine.

Racing at this level is fun and expensive, no doubt. But it would be sad for the stakes to be raised so much higher leaving a larger audience watching and not participating.

Again, I'm not knocking the program. It just depends if you're one of the 'have's' or 'have nots'.

Keith Reed
    Empty Pockets Racing

3. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

I think some of you are missing the point here - this money is in the "National" Series and in the "Endurance" portion of it at that - this means that it is not in the Sportsman Series, it means it is in a Semi-Pro Series that requires a serious commitment from a rider/team if they are going to go after National #1 Plates in the series. This being said - Graves Motorsports has sweetened the pot for those serious about going after a Semi-Pro Title in Motorcycle Roadracing in one of the only Endurance Series still left in motorcycle roadracing. Personally I applaud Graves Motorsports for posting this and Graves Motorsports is taking this opportunity to reward their customers as well as promoting our sport.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So the guys who have 25k in their bike are what? Haves or have nots? Because I know racers with less than a grand in theirs, and I know racers with more than $60k in theirs...

To the $1k guys you're a have, a big time have. To you the $60k guy is a have. So where's the line?

5. Chip

Chip Registered

Good on you Mr. Graves. We as a sport need to start taking care of ourselves..

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While I have you - mid line SS build, not even a DSB build, what's it cost for just the engine work?

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on this like some of the above posters but it seems obvious that, with Vesrah retiring their own team from Endurance, Graves is stepping in and providing the opportunity for folks with the dedication and desire to make a serious run at the title of one of the few prestigious national-level series left in the US. Cool.

8. Chip

Chip Registered

They are the same. WERA SS and DSB are indentical rules for engine mods..

$2200 - Labor
    $300 - Bearings and Gaskets
    $70 - Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
    $165 - Adjutable Cam Sprockets
    $1200-$2200 for a Pipe
    $300 or so for Case Covers
    $1600 for a Kit Box / Full Bazzaz

If I was building something for WERA MW Endurance, which is SBK rules.....I would build something a lot faster.

9. Empty Pockets Racing

The difference can be measured in whether or not (financially) a rider is competitive in his/her class. If the guy with $1k is competitive, he is a 'have'. If he is in a class dominated by a few $60k bikes, I would say that he is a 'have not'.

Again, I applaud Graves for putting $$$ back into the sport. I'm just saying requiring a guy/gal to purchase a $40k bike to be eligible is favoring a more financially-independent racer and/or well-funded semi-pro team of an audience than the norm. Is there a disagreement with that statement?

As Czar mentioned, "it means it is in a Semi-Pro Series that requires a serious commitment from a rider/team", I couldn't agree more where "serious" equates to money.

Again, great program for those who can afford it.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

$40K for a front line race bike is not out of the question. If you bought everything new, with no sponsorship, and it came with support then it would be a good deal. You have an opportunity to win most of it back....

I would like to point out that my DSB bikes from last year are for sale for much cheaper....but am not going to pay contingency. If somebody wanted to give me $80K for two bikes then I would pay $5K a win. :up:

11. Empty Pockets Racing

I'm not saying that $40k for a race bike is out of the question, as we know there are a few out there (and worth the coin if one has it). I'm only saying it is targeting a specific audience and to my original post, may have been the misconception by most reading the headlines of the press release and not realizing they weren't in the targeted audience until reading the smaller print.
    :up:

12. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

I guess time will tell if it is a good deal for a race team we will see 4 or 5 full graves yamahas running the endurance series, if not we might see one or none. It is a smart marketing move by Graves. If they get 2 or 3 well funded teams to buy those at full retail because of it then they can't lose.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Again, haven't seen the build specs on the Graves bike, but, toss in the go faster engine stuff, forks, shock, big fuel tank, quick fill set up, quick change, wheels, etc etc etc...doesn't take long to get there. Trackside support is worth a bit more than a buck two ninety five, also.

14. Sounds like a good way to make some money. Especially if you sell several of the bikes, since only the winning bike gets $5k of his money back.

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It's great that Graves is supporting. Although if you're a serious team, you need two bikes at $80k. And I could be wrong, but I didn't see if quick change equipment was included with that.

Ultimately you have to realize that if it didn't make sense from Chuck's standpoint as a business, he wouldn't be doing it. He's in the business to make money and sell product. Selling fully-prepped bikes is a great thing and it obviously costs significant money for those who want to participate at that level.

Don't knock it just because it's not applicable to you. Support the sport and at least acknowledge that an effort is being made. It's more than DMG has done as of late.

16. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

:up::up::up::up::D:up::up::up::up:

17. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

Guessing from the way the email reads, that price includes that bike and all graves endurance accessories.

I take that as including the dump can and trick center lift front stand. I think it's great to see anyone stepping up and offering a return on any investment made in racing.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would guess the bike without the external stuff myself but I'll try to get a complete list and post it.

19. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right. I just reread it and it says "Participants running the 2010 WERA Middle Weight Superbike Endurance Class ~will qualify for contingency monies from Graves Motorsports by purchasing a complete 2010 Graves Yamaha YZF-R6 sport bike outfitted with pit stop gear directly from Graves Motorsports’ WORKS division."

the "outfitted with pit stop gear" is what got me.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So Jimmy - you guys will be running two Graves R6's then this year? :D