1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haiti Relief Donations, best organization????

Discussion in 'General' started by Parkerson, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

So, I have came across a little bit of money, and since the groups that I've called think I am incapable of helping out, other than donating money, I guess the best I can do is to donate money. With this said, what do you think is the best non-profit, non-religious organization to donate to in order to help in the best way possible?

2. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

red cross. most of the others are scams/

do it directly to them and not to someone who says it goes to the red cross

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Red Cross.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Red cross or consider the rrw soft barrier fund to protect racers and yourself.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Red Cross is certainly one of the most sure ways to get help there quickly. The texted donations, while convenient, will not get money to the victims for approximately 90 days.

6. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

the bad thing about alot of these organizations like united way, red cross, etc is that i think by law and it may vary from state to state that 90% of what they take in can be used for "administrative costs" i guess even 10% adds up so still helping is helping, i found this on another forum on the doctors without borders organization, here is there breakdown of the donations that they take in

i donated some of my time to the local soup kitchen unloading food and serving to others, and when a local boy scout pack couldnt afford to have there trailer decaled up, i got asked for a cheap price, i said how about free, cool thing is i got a thank you card with a photo they all signed standing in front of there trailer

7. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

Thanks, so I have found out, like what ckruzel said, a very small percentage of the money donated actually makes it to the peolpe in need. By knowing this, I've decided to go a different route. Every year I donate clothes to goodwill. Well, there must be a way to donate clothes and other unneeded material goods instead of money, right? I would know that every bit of the clothes would be used by the people in need, instead of assuming that they might get some of the money.

Thanks

8. sorryimlate

sorryimlate Active Member

You may not like hearing this ......But. The faith based organizations like MCC, Habitat for humanity etc. are miles ahead of most others. They are run and staffed mostly by volunteers as such there administative costs can be as low as 15-20%.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You're a good dude to be asking. The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund touts that 99% of your donation goes directly to current relief efforts. Hopefully this won't be considered a political thing. Seems bipartisan and fck the partisans, it's a good cause. Good job. And don't be put off by the Red Cross or other great orgs. WTF, it takes some administration to move people and materials. They do great work and their people should get paid. Lots of people get paid to administer absolutely useless shit so why shouldn't they get paid to do good work all over the globe? Rock on.

http://clintonbushhaitifund.org/about.php

10. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Doctors without boarders...

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Their website says donations are used:
    Management – 1 %
    Advertising – 12 %
    Program Services – 87 %

They have a special donation category that puts all of your money into aid to the Haiti earthquake effort.

One of the members on the Apriliaforum (Murat) is a neurologists and he is a member of this organization. They are the real deal and he has personally been a part of the ground team helping on disasters/wars/etc. They go in at considerable personal risk and help people directly. He is there in Haiti right now. Good guy - loves riding! :beer:

11. Here is where I placed my donation. I have asked for more info about "Food for the Poor". Once I get I will post up.

http://www.thefishatlanta.com/article.asp?id=1657297

Sounds like it is part of a group that is actually there and been there prior too. If you type in Haiti in the Search window on their site you can see what their goal was and that it was met and then some. Hopefully, it will continue...this will be a lengthy situation. I did hear on the radio this morning that Georgia will bring in people from Haiti as they did from Katrina.

12. trackjunkieX

trackjunkieX Banned

Donations of clothes and such items are not wanted at this time. The cost of transporting and distributing such items is many times the cost of purchasing it locally, and it deprives local merchants and manufactures of their livelihood.

Because there is only one runway and the port is heavily damaged, every bit of space abroad relief planes and ships needs to be filled with medicine, food, temporary housing, etc. Things that are needed immediately and not available for purchase locally.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I did 50% Red Cross, 50% Doctors without Borders. I think you can't go wrong with those.

There are a few more very reliable ones.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

There's a couple websites that rank charity orgs, here's one... http://www.charitynavigator.org
    Red cross does do some good things but I've had poor experiences with them a few times.