1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox shock 600lb spring Q's

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tzrboy, Jan 15, 2010.

1. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

I'm used to Penske's on my bikes and typically run a 400-425 spring.

I have a used Fox now, going on an 1st gen SV and it's a 7" long, 600lb. spring.

I can't seem to find 'reliable' spec. for what weight this spring is ranged for.

Any help, appreciated as always all knowing...:)

2. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

How much do you weight? That spring rate seem low for a 1 gen sv650 the recommended penske spring for a rider 120 -160 is 7" x 625 lbs.
    The gen 2 sv650 for the same weight rider is 7" x 475 Lbs. regardless of the brand of shock the spring rate should be the same as they are
    determinded by the swingarm/linkage ratio.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. tzrboy

The 400-425 was on a solid mount(no linkage) Duc Sport Classic I ran, as well as an 06 GSXR1000 last year with similar spring.

The bike the shock came off of I know, and know the rider who was similar in weight and ability. Shock going out to get freshened up and if spring was correct, was going to clean it up (new powdercoat), and if it's not correct...

Then I need a new spring.

I weigh 150ish, and then add gear, so around 170 I go off of for setup.

600lb Fox spring, for a 1st gen SV...??

4. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

I think that a 600 lbs spring would work for you on a gen 1 SV650 although it will be a little on the soft side. it should work fine. Just make sure the length eye to eye and the shaft travel are correct.

5. Speeddealer

Speeddealer Nothing better to do

I would agree w Europa -a 650 Lbs. spring should be closer to what you need, but a 600 Lbs. would work

6. tzrboy

Will do, I'll run with it and see where we end up with setup.

7. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I had a 600# spring on a 1st gen setup by traxxion and it worked great. I was 135 pounds at the time. for whatever it's worth....

*edit* Maybe it was 650...nevermind, I can't remember now

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. Probee255

Probee255 Well-Known Member

hey chris when i get your shock i will check my spring rate spreadsheet chart for that bike and give you a call, so we can discuss if you want to stay on that spring or move to another

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I have the same setup, actually a Fox on my street SV and Penske on the trackbike. Both gen one. I weigh 150 and run a 625 on the track bike and 650 on the streetbike. Works fine. You may end up changing the 600 if you are on the track a lot.

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

625 or 650

11. tzrboy

Will do guys, thanks AFM and Zoran!

Jason, I'll send out the shock without spring for the refresh- see what you have there for springs and just PM or let Mark at RRP know, etc.

This Fox will be out to you Monday with the attached sheet you need.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Another reason why this IS 'the' place..:)