1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats up in Fontana??

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Jan 10, 2010.

1. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

I was driving by in my golf cart and I hear...ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH! I was like...WTF? Again I hear....ARRRRRRHHHHHHHH!!!!!! So I stop and look at the garages to see everyone from one end of the garage to the other looking over at this guy putting on his leathers, camera in his face and I could have sworn at anytime they were going to call "Cut thats a wrap"!!! :crackup:

I am all for this making more news for the sport...but to me it looked over played. But what the hell...this is how the guys is making his living.

2. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

Dean did crash Saturday and I know a lot of racers who would not have put on leathers and gone out after they went to the hospital. He is a racer now, told him the actor thing was a side thing now.....hope he continues to come out and any exposure is only education about what we do, so thanks for that and hope your shoulder is feeling much better Dean!

3. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right Evelyn about him being a racer now. It's just the sideshow that taints it to the rest of us. :eek:

I didn't mean any disrespect Dean in regards to you being a racer and I hope that you will continue to pursue the same passion that drives many of us here. :up:

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I like how he and some of the music dudes are getting into racing. Plus he`s an old geezer like me.:beer:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rapp was on the 54 Buell. Randolph on the 54 KTM.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think you may be confusing her mom's money with hers.

The show is good for the sport for sure. Was he hamming it up for the show? of course. Does it matter in the greater scheme of things? Hell no.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The sideshow pays the bills so he really is no different than any other racer. You gotta do what it takes so you can go race. In his case some of the day to day crap has to come to the track. I'm torn between it being distracting, it being funny to watch, and it being great for the sport because it personalizes it to the shows fans.

8. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the props Shenanigans :up:

Yes, the spectacle of the reality show going on a few garages down was rather entertaining... when I first saw them last year it was mildly distracting, now I pay it no mind... and just try to stay out of any random shots... unless of course, that is a random shot of me going around the outside ;-)

The only thing that bothers me about the show is Tori's view on motorcycles is spot on for representing the "general public". Seemingly uneducated, over dramatic and convinced anything but a bicycle is a death trap on 2 wheels.
    In some clips I've seen, they way over dramatize the dangers of motorcycle riding (let alone racing).
    Those clips for kinda old, but I can only hope that she (and them) can portray a better image as they ALL learn about the fun and enjoyment of riding and racing.

I caught one clip where Dean got rid of all his bikes for her. Now he's back out here racing, so I hope that means their views have become more positive.

I'm thrilled they're doing it with WERA! I hope they promote the WERA logo and the coverage helps the organization, and promotes it :D

On a side note, I was absolutely thrilled to see how many people showed up to watch the races this weekend! Parking was overflowing outside the gate, and street bikes were stuffed in everywhere!!!

On another side note, in taking my very first win this weekend, it was an incredible feeling when I looked up in the stands to find my friends, but instead, found a big group of Harley riders (in their vests and all) pointing at me, clapping and pumping their fists!
    THAT was way awesome! :D

Thank you WERA for another spectactular weekend!!!

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I don't know, exposure is great but I recall seeing an episode last season (the wife called me in to see it) where he was at Cali and had a crash. A big argument followed for them and he sold his bikes. I could totally see billions of housewives saying "See, that's why you're never going racing". Wives are mean like that! :tut:

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

:beer:

Fixed it for ya!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tori's reactions on the show are sadly exactly how the overwhelming majority of people feel. The difference is the show covers why Dean wants to race and a lot of the stuff we all love about racing. Keep in mind too it's reality tv, not a documentary film.

Dean promoting the weekend on Twitter and Facebook I know for sure helped the turnout of fans this weekend. I've had a lot of positive feedback from people who had never been to a race before and will be back.

12. ton

ton Arf!

maybe ya'll could work out something with him (and others like him) to have him do each of the nationals and do some co-promotion?

i like it when a bit of circus comes to club racing. i livens up the paddock when we're not racing, and doesn't get in the way when we are.

13. vtwinracing

vtwinracing Member

What Deano is bringing to the sport right now is HUGE! While other sponsors are running away from our sport, Dean is putting ALOT on the line personally to help promote it. He is the Executive Producer of his show...if it fails, he fails. Contrary to what you might think, he can not afford for it to fail. His show is his income. Guys please stand behind him and support his efforts, we all win in the end. Like I said, people are running away from this sport and he's putting alot of $$$ on the line to help promote it. If at the end of the day there is a little bit more drama then you think there should be, keep in mind that the viewing audience has sometimes never seen what we go through on a race weekend and he's telling the story. I can tell you first hand that LOTS of people watch the show and there are LOTS of fans, I have people that come up to me at grocery stores, malls and the like that ask about the show and then want to know all about our sport.

14. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

+1

I spoke with Dean after he got back from being checked out. The guy was hurting pretty damn good on his left shoulder. He is 6'3" tall or something and got levered hard into the pavement. No cameras around, just me and him talking. He said he came down really hard on his shoulder and it was really bothering him. Certainly it would get worse as time went on during the day and even worse again on Sunday unless he had some pain pills.

He is truly a racer and loves this sport to death. The reality show is his bread and butter and he has effectively found a way to promote our sport and the one that he loves the most while making the show. A dream come true to be able to make money doing what you love.

We should all be standing behind him 100% and giving him whatever support he needs. He is doing more to promote WERA than DMG did last year promoting the AMA series.

15. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

Same here. I came back to the garage twice to download memory cards and people I didn't know were milling about in front of our garage, asking questions about the bikes, asking when folks were going out to race and then scooting out to the infield to go watch them race. Lots of comments too from folks amazed at the kids races on the 125's and not knowing that kids could do that, they all seemed to think it was just big superbikes. So there was a lot of cheering on the bridge from people when Hartl, Ochs and Taylor were banging on each other in their 2 races.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, riiiight... :rolleyes:

Has he been any good movies? I don't know who he is other than Tori's racer husband.

17. Cash Vega

Cash Vega New Member

Just reading some posts here today, and I want to clear a few things up. Anything and everything you heard or saw this weekend in my pit was real. I really hurt my shoulder and had trouble getting in and out of my leathers. It was incredibly painful trying to move my arm backwards to get into my sleeve. The aaarrrggghhhss you heard were real, and not just for the camera, in fact the aaarrrggghhss were there getting in and out of my truck, putting my street clothes on, tying my shoes, but you didn't see that did you?? No, you see a camera crew and you just pass judgement. Maybe you'd like to come with me tomorrow for my M.R.I. as I can't move my arm today, maybe you'd like to come to the house an help me carry my children around as I am unable to. And the sling on Sunday was to take pressure off of my shoulder in between races and ease the pain. I was not racing "just fine" as someone put it, my best time was a 1:43. It makes me sad that members of the same organization would speak so poorly
    of me and what I am trying to do for a sport I love so much. But you know what, it's not going to stop me from racing or bringing my crew out to document road racing and promote WERA. In fact your nah saying and judgement will only encourage me to do better as a racer and promote the sport. And one last thing, my wife and I can NOT buy a MOTO GP team or 10. If we could, don't you not think I'd have at the very least an A and B bike in my pit and my own mechanic, maybe a big rig?? I have a race budget and have to try and get sponsorship just like everybody else. So think before you judge, and here's to hoping everyone has a safe and successful race season.
    Dean McDermott

18. vtwinracing

vtwinracing Member

19. zx9r_blue

zx9r_blue Member

Well stated Dean.:up::up::up:

20. speeddemon828

speeddemon828 casual user

WOW he told you guys!:up: