Whale Wars....fender bender!

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Anybody watch South Park last night. It all makes sense now....

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Damn, now I want to try a whale steak. I've heard dolphin is good...mmmmmm flipper :D

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yeah but the problem is they are odontocetes (toothed whales) and eat high on the food chain. It's become near impossible to get good dolphin that isn't loaded with mercury and PCBs.... seriously.

All in all, I think most people, even hard-headed racers, would agree it's not a great idea to kill whales unless may you live on the ice and that's your primary source of calories. And if that's your situation, my friend, you're fckd anyway...

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

whatever dude. i remember when you tried to shoot a whale with a custom made compound bow. dont deceive these people. :D

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dude, that was to implant a satellite tag. You'll have these people thinking I was going for a lung shot!

It was pretty cool to get Dan Quillian's help with that though. Archers on the beeb might know that name...

6. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

Why are you putting satellite tags on whales? To see where their friends are so you can eat them too???!!!:)

7. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

His freezer is only big enough for one whale. It makes them easier to find when it gets empty.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Fair question. I was actually on the Norwegian boat as a scientist and they were hired as a survey vessel. They weren't actually hunting. They did have some meat in the freezer that came out on special occasions. Otherwise it was aged pickled herring and potatoes so the whale meat was welcome at the time... mostly tracking right whales in the N Atlantic. Less than 400 left so it's good to know something about their movements...

oddly enough, I saw a fair number of enthusiastic sportbikers in Oslo and Bergen? Hell their riding season couldn't be more than a couple weeks :confused: but those are some hardy folk (and the best lookin' white womens I ever seen:D)

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Haven't you given me a hard enough time for filling it with bambies? :moon:

Happy New Year btw

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Not that I support the douchbag hippies and their batmobile that got crushed, but the second video actually paints a much different picture than the first one. South Park nailed it with those guys though, I thought that episode was hilarious. I tried watching Whale Wars a couple times and instantly put them on top of my hippie hate list, moving PETA from the number 1 spot after I thought they could never lose the crown.

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2010/01/06/video-ady-gil-hit-by-japanese-whaling-vessel/

11. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

It really wasn't a question that needed answered, but thanks for the work you did....................

I still think your taging them to eat each and every one of them. Why else would you want to track their movements on a "survey vessel" (or research) and know there are only 400 left. Swin little whale, swim.....Ahab out to eat you:D:D

Just joking...............

12. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

ahab, you do kind of remind me of that little girl in the whale rider..... :D

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Same to you pal, but I'm sure how necessary you are. :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did you mean "not sure" counselor?

:crackup:

15. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

That 2nd video makes things interesting. However...putting a little boat in front of a boat like that and HOPING they stop or move away...well that is stupid.

Now, give me $5 million and I willhave no problem shutting down the Japanese effort.

Watching Whale Wars is eye opening, in the sense that every time I see that show I am stunned by the absolute idiocy that the crew works at. It is a series of non-movement events that push an effort of nothing. Or put more bluntly, I am against Japan whaling and their BS of "research", but what I have seen (and realize that Discovery Channel wants this to look as good as possible) on the Discovery Channel shows nothing but inept people that have an agenda but no talent to push that agenda outside of causing a media stir like ramming a boat and endangering lives.

Get a bunch of tug boats out there to push the boats. Fight fire with fire and use the same audio interference that the whalers use. Get some air cannons like Colin Edwards has to fire the stink bombs and slippery stuff. Use the helicopters to dump the slippery/stinky stuff all over the decks.

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I figured YOU watched that shit.[​IMG]

17. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I joke. I couldn't ever bring it in my heart to hurt one. They just look/act/are too intelligent... It's pretty strange. I've seen quite a few come up and look at bait and take off. Too smart for hook and line for sure...

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Speaking of ineptitude, there are serious problems with your approach for watson (I won't capitalize his name anymore) and his crew:

1. Get a bunch of tug boats out there to push the boats.
    - They're run out of fuel and New Zeeland would have to pick up the rescue tab.

2. Fight fire with fire and use the same audio interference that the whalers use.
    - Hippie music doesn't scare the Japanese. Now if they play audio of the B-29's over Hiroshima ...

3.Get some air cannons like Colin Edwards has to fire the stink bombs and slippery stuff.
    - Have you seen tubgirl.com? Smelly, slithery compounds don't scare Japanese people.

4.Use the helicopters to dump the slippery/stinky stuff all over the decks
    - haha, a lot of people that end up flying helicopters were usually too retarded for fixed-wing work and you're suggesting those monkeys can learn to fly a chopper? They can't even prevent their meeeellliiiooon dollar boat from slamming into something that's 100x its mass.

I suggest you come up with better ideas.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  19. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I agree against whale hunting for industry.

Anyways I've watched that show a couple times and though just like most of you
    "what a bunch of tools"

I think crew and ship safety especially in the artic come first. That ship is not even ice rated!! Then they try to navigate ice fields.

I drive a bass boat with more sense than those tools.

I so want to see the southpark episode.

20. Chip

Chip Registered

I like whales and I hate stupid hippies. See my problem. Hmmmmm....