1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brake caliper question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Racer45, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Maybe someone can point out the obvious or something I'm missing. I got a 1098S with the Brembo's up front. The right side caliper seems to have too much drag on it. The wheel will spin around twice if I really give it a whirl. But if I do that on my ZX6, that thing will spin forever. I've bled them, taken them apart, cleaned them, put them back together (didn't change the seals) and bled them again. It seems to spin a little better but not good enough. If I unbolt the caliper it stays on the rotor rather than wanting to fall off. Need some help please. It's pissing me off so bad I'll bring a case of beer to the person that has the right advice to fix this thing to a NC round :beer:

2. dan blankenship

dan blankenship Well-Known Member

My trick for this, pull the front wheel off and check the alignment of the axle. Grease the axle and slide it in without the wheel and see if in binds on insertion. If it does loosen one fork leg and slide it up or down until the axle freely moves between the forks, once it slides freely re-tighten the fork leg. Mount the wheel and calipers and with the pinch bolts and axle nut loose set the front end back down on the ground apply the front brake and bounce the front end, tighten the front end up. First snug the pinch bolts on the end opposite of the axle nut, torque the axle nut, loosen and re-tighten the pinch bolts, tighten opposing pinch bolts then the pinch bolts next to the axle nut, and bounce the front again. Lift the front and see if it spins freely. You will need to check bind everytime the front wheel comes off for a tire change. To make life easier on mine I made a tool so that I can torque the axle nut without tightening the pinch bolts which makes lining up the front much quicker.

3. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Check the following:
    Make sure brake pad backing plates are FLAT
    Brake pads are not tapered.
    Caliper is aligned with disc. (Squeeze brake lever then tighten caliper mount bolts.)

How does it spin hot? This is more important than free spin when cold.

4. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

1st problem with the DUC :clap:

5. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I hate you

6. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

now thats funny......:D

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

+1