Windows media player

Discussion in 'General' started by Seven+2 1's, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

Alright, I know this is the place to get the answer.

A friend sent me every Three Stooges short and movie on a hard drive. They are avi. files.

Of the 190+ short films, it will only open 3 to 4 of them. The others, when I click on the icon for the film (which is just a "AVI" icon, not a picture icon like the 3 or 4 films) it opens windows media player and plays the audio but starts a screensaver/ light show with no visual of the film.

What the hell? The guys say's it works on his computer, but I have Vista and it's not working. Please help!!

P/S: I know NOTHING about computers other than playing with the internet and basic tasks, so please in the answer keep it in my simple understanding. Thanks and Happy New Year.....

2. ridnwb

ridnwb Perpetually Angry

xpcodecpack.com

done deal

3. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

You are the man!!!! Thanks, it works.

4. caferace

caferace No.

dump nasty WMP, and start using VLC Media Player without the need for extra, potentially suspect codecs from third party websites. It rocks, and will open pretty much anything. Simple interface, free, doesn't report back to the Microsoft mothership what you're watching and has regular updates. Highly recommended. :up:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

-jim

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Another happy VLC user here!! Way better than WMP.

6. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

VLC FTW! Its the only one I use.