1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding rule change for Saturday practice

Discussion in 'General' started by DMG, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's how we looked at the solo's. My son's first race weekend on the 125 I signed him up for one at Buttonwillow. We had just received the bike that week and he was a bit nervous about handling the distance. He had only ridden mini races on kart tracks and the longest one was 8 laps. He had also done a mini Vegas WERA weekend where we did 4 lap races, I think.

Eric Dehaven suggested we treat it as a practice and make some adjustments as necessary. This eased Tyler's mind and made it enjoyable for him. We told him to come in if he was tired. He went about 12 laps and came in, for a suspension change, went out 2 more another change and then finished the race. The second time he got to run one was out at Vegas and he ran the entire race.

I really wish they were offered at all west coast rounds. It's not offered at California speedway, because I think the track is too expensive to rent, and at Miller because of the National Endurance series.

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Wasn't stated, and still doesn't make sense. You've already stated that you're going to use the same stickers to validate track access for both days, so if you're riding on Saturday you can get tech'd for both days without having to re-tech.

If you're not going to allow Sunday-Only riders to tech before Saturday practice (in order to keep them from using their stickers to get on the track and bypass this rule), then how are you going to keep Saturday-Only riders from using their already sticker-ed bike to enter the track for some free practice time on Sunday? How is the Sunday morning gatekeeper supposed to know who signed up for both days and who only signed up for Saturday? Someone going to walk through the pits and yank tech stickers off Saturday-only bikes on Saturday afternoon? Seems like an awful lot of trouble.

It seems to me that the only reasonable way to do this would be to use separate tech stickers for each day. Hell, they could even be the same color, just have "SAT" and "SUN" clearly printed on them. And if you were going to do that then you could just let everyone tech Saturday morning as has been done in the past. Simple and elegant. Problem solved and Sunday-only riders don't have to deal with easily avoidable hassle on Sunday morning.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stickers aren't the only method we have of knowing who is doing what. Odd as it may seem we're a pretty observant bunch.

Tech stickers for each day is a possibility. We're talking and thinking about a lot of different ideas on enforcement.

You guys really need to quit stressing over teching Sunday morning. It's really not going to be the huge issue some are trying to make it. We've been doing this for a little while ;)

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

like i told ya before, Sean, people are doing it, and you cant police it. I saw it NUMEROUS times last season, and no one said a thing to the riders that were doing it.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because nothing was said doesn't mean we didn't know about it. There were a lot more people telling us (including officials) than you :)

With this change in policy it's something we'll begin enforcing whereas before I didn't worry about it.

It's really not that difficult, there are a lot of ideas out there that we have as well as some posted here. As I have said we will be talking it all over with our officials and others and see what we think will work the best for us and the riders.

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

7. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Please figure out a way where we can register and tech on saturday for sunday races. It would seem to be much easier for wera to get different colored stickers than having 200 racers all registering and teching at the same time on sunday morning, and then expect us to make first practice.

Or just leave it how it was and raise entry fees by $5. It really was nice being able to treat the entire weekend as one continuous two day event. Like someone mentioned, I too liked getting all the formalities out of the way on satuday, get out for a little practice, and spend the afternoon working on the bike, watching races, and chillin. Then by sunday morning you are all set to go, no hassles, just race time.

8. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Are you familiar with the little red boxes that magically record the lap times?

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Doing what? I'm lost here.

(Yeah, I know, what's new, eh? :D )

10. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

:rolleyes:

and about $500 if you are gonna win $250

11. Correct me if I am wrong....There are no points scored for a Solo, just the contingency money based off the number of entrants...correct? Thanks!

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Not everyone runs the box for practice.

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Aren't they required?

14. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

not for practice as far as I know

15. Strick

Strick Good to be king

You are 100% right. There is absolutely no way they could ever be mandatory for any bike on track. That would take an act of enormous effort and money so much so that I am not sure if one organization could manage it.

Or Mongo could just put a simple sentence in the rulebook to require it. You people really need to start thinking a little.

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Are you familiar with folks who get out during practice without actually putting those magical boxes on their bike?

Edit: Okay, Never mind, I see it's already been covered. Personally I've seen a lot of that, as I would sometimes be interested in checking practice lap times of someone I would be competing against only to find that they didn't have any.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  17. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

Not a fan of this idea at all. I always liked being able to get registration and tech out of the way on Saturday, do a couple of practice sessions and then take it easy Saturday afternoon. I typically don't run the solo's not so much because of the entry fee (although that is part of it) but because of all the other expenses related to running 20 laps. I HATE the idea of having to hassle with going through registration and tech again on Sunday morning and trying to make practice session 1 if it is your practice session.

Guess I will be re-thinking how many races I run on Sunday so I can be allowed to run Saturday practice and the solos and keep my expenses in check.

Scott P.

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Just asking. LRRS requires transponders on at all times, practice and racing. $25.00 fine for going out without one. During practice to make sure no glitches before racing. Timing does notice bikes on track not giving a signal and sends me their number so that I can stop them and find out why. If they left it off because they weren't supposed to be out there, I send them to a referee.
    Timing loads all the entries for each day into the computer. If anyone not registered goes on track with a transponder, they show up as "unidentfied" on the screen. Again, I get the call to stop them when they come off the track.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  19. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

WERA does it differently and only requires them for races. I would imagine they load the number after registration and before practice.