1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit bike fouling out plug

Discussion in 'Tech' started by snowman_audio, Dec 10, 2009.

1. snowman_audio

snowman_audio Well-Known Member

Hey guys, my buddy's pit bike keeps fouling out the spark plug. I have removed the carb, taken it apart and cleaned everything, put new oil in it and changed the spark plug. After re-installing everything it fired right up and runs great for about a minute, then fouls out the spark plug again. I have tried adjusting the idle, choke and throttle cable, but nothing helps.

What do you guys think it could be and what should i try next? thanks again everyone.

2. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Insuficient information provided

OK Holmes, is it fuel fouled or oil fouled? 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Fuel fouled - choke level incorrect, float valve needle/seat not sealing, air filter very dirty. Are you certain that the airscrew is adjusted correctly?

Oil fouled - needs rings, possibly stuck oil ring, valve seals leaking, clutch shaft seal is bad allowing trans oil into crankcase (2 stroke).

3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I believe you meant the crank seal. Tdub

4. snowman_audio

It is a 4 stroke, we have ordered a nre filter just in case, but the old one still looks good and i have taken the carb apart. The floater was sticking, causing the fuel to come out of the over flow tube but I fixed that issue. But it still fouls out the plug.

I have also removed the air filter and tried runing it that way to see if it was the filter that was causing the issue, but still with the same results.

Is there anything i can do to test anything else?

5. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Correct plug heat range?

6. snowman_audio

We are using the same brand plug that came with it, we also gaped it to standards that are in the manual.

7. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

What bike is it?

8. snowman_audio

chinese knock off. crf50 copy

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

there's the problem.

10. snowman_audio

lol, I know I know, but it is what he has to work with.

11. fastfreddie

it's the electrical system. complete garbage.
    the next thing to go will be the starting mechanism. :D

12. snowman_audio

So you think it is the CDI box? And it is a kick start.

13. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

is gas fresh?

14. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

If you have not done so, change the crankcase oil.
    The fuel flooding out of the stuck float washes into the sump and dilutes the oil, BAD.

15. Coopster

Yep, 4 sure shoulda read crank seal, not clutch.
    What the hell, is this the onset of AADD? F!, made it to 48 b4 the crainial breakdown...

16. snowman_audio

Yes the gas and oil have been changed.

17. fastfreddie

i think it's the overall lack of quality in craftsmanship/materials. voltage leaks, inefficient windings, you name it.

tuners' post on fueled oil is on the money. pop the oil fill cap and take a whif...smells like gas? there's the current problem(all those vapors gettin' into the combustion chamber)...to be followed by the starter if the electrics stay together. :D

18. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Check the spark. It needs to be able to jump 1/4" to run and 3/8" to run well. Just because it'll jump the plug gap doesn't mean much. Even with a cheap Chinese CDI, it should jump 1/2".

19. Coopster

Yep those Chinese are pretty shrewd. They know they'll never get a cent of that 2 Trill $ back, so the plan is to drop many, many tiny bombs on us, just like these little 2 and 4 wheeled POS's...