1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaded Race Gas Prices in NYC Area

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by KrooklynSV, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The 2nd most stupid post I have seen! You obviously have been surfing the net all too much and have very little, if any, practical experience. Tdub

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Wow...calling Danny Turner stupid...

Dan, just an FYI, Danny and Tdub have more tuning experience than you have in your pinky. Not calling you stupid by any means, but when certain people talk, wiser people listen. ;)

3. dan blankenship

dan blankenship Well-Known Member

Practical...got plenty as I build my own, both 2 and 4 stroke...I've paid my dues on mistakes and successes with my motors and have done well with the setup and durability of them. Biggest thing that I have learned along the way is not to think with the sheep and take good notes, because at the end of the day it's just a motor and with a little common sense and research you can go a long way to keep a shit load of money in your pocket if you are willing to do the homework. With that you can pimp and sell it how ever you want since it's your living to make not mine. If VP makes you happy then :up:, but as for me I am quite satisfied with what I am paying and how it works with the bike....and God forbid since everyone loves to race them...the dyno sheet to show what the motor does right now, not to say that it isn't going to change as there are still a few more changes on the plate to be made.

4. dan blankenship

I have done my learning (and still am) and have had some good teachers along the way...and hey, what ever...not like they can take away my birthday. But I will say that when certain people talk...I ask questions, I never take any of it as gospel.

5. renn

renn Well-Known Member

that was me, and i paid something like $200 and change for 15 gallons in 5 gallon drums.

especially with the cost of 2stroke oil, i'm not too happy about the 4 or so gallons i just let go to waste at the end of this season... something for my lawnmower to use i guess. ;)

6. arcdeducati

arcdeducati Active Member

Hey, stopped by on my way home. 110 leaded and unleaded for $9.25 a gallon. 100 leaded and unleaded $8.25 a gallon.

That's what the attendant told me. I have absolutely no knowledge of leaded gas but one would think leaded would be more. So I'll check back at normal business hours if you think this doesn't sound right.

The station is directly off of the southern state pkwy at the Hempstead ave south exit on your right after you make the right at the light. I believe it's in Malverne. It's the USA gas station here, you can see it on street view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...=0xKK5cWuArunVXk96HYmLg&cbp=12,322.15,,1,4.28

Hope this helps.

7. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

^ Thanks Dan. Good to know I can find a place close by that has the gas.

8. wheelieman14

wheelieman14 New Member

If you happen to head up to Loudon, NH (NHMS) to race with LRRS or do any track days, VP usually sells 5-gallon pails of C12 for $50.00 ($10/gal). If you contact Arnie Hastings in advance, he will usually deliver VP Fuel to the Mid-Atlantic region races (NJMP) for around $60 to $65 a pail of C12.

9. badger278

badger278 Member

What Reet said. Just run Sunoco 110 leaded. Easy to tune, and fast enough for us regular guys.

10. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

This is an older thread but what do you do with the leaded gas in between events? Can't pour it into your cars, does it keep OK for a month if need be ?

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I keep mine in their containers. That reminds me...I need to put some Stabil in mine...

12. dan blankenship

Some of it keeps better than others...I have never had any issue with the AV gas that I use keeping but then again I only buy 5 or 10 gallons at a time depending on what I am doing. If I run a full day of practice and sprints I usually use about 8 gallons of fuel; 5 on practice and 3 to 4 on the sprints, but of course track length and speed make a difference in how much I go through.

13. rus23

rus23 Misfit

Avgas Vs Sunoco 110

I have been around airplanes for a bit, motorcycles too. I have seen no difference between running 100LL (avgas), and sunoco 110. Plugs are the same, jettings the same. I run an RZ and an RD. Now, I don;t know about TZ's, haven't been around them at all.

One guy I know has 5 airplanes, 3 corvettes, bmw's, mercedes, cbr1000, old bmw motrocycles.... He's single, never been married. In his 67 vette, (which had a ground up restoration when he located it (seems he traded this particular vette for an eldorado in 68, found it and bought it back, but that's another story), he keeps 100LL in it (no catalytic converter) starts it up twice a year to blow the cobwebs out, and never touches the fuel system or carb or anything. Runs fine. Airplanes that sit for 6 months to a year between flights have no problem. The fuel is super stable, I have not seen it degrade.

Just my two pesos.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

Interesting. For those who don't know him, Rus' 2 Stroke bikes run real good, I don't know about his planes...the Brits I knew and raced with used a 50-50 mix of Avgas and hi-test pump gas. They told me that Avgas was quite stable, the same all over. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but their bikes ran just fine too. I suppose their bikes were set up with this diminished (?) octane in mind, i.e., jetting, ignition advance, heads/squish. I think they enhanced the pump gas with Avgas because the 'real' race fuel was very costly in the UK and Europe.

Rus works on planes and also builds them, by the way, in case you want something built, contact him. I will supply armament if you want something to strafe your aggravating neighbors.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010