Need help on body work for 2000 R6

Discussion in 'General' started by CUDA, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 r6 with an full race pipe and Sharkskinz bodywork.
    THe pipe is burning the lower because there isn't quite enough room there. Any suggestions on fixing this problem? I have already wrapped the pipe and that helped alot but if anyone knows of bodywork that fits or another solution I would appreciate it a great deal.

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

My header hits the bodywork on my SV. I got some of that metal duct tape and put it where the pipe hits and have not had a problem with it.

3. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

The metal faced duct tape worked well for me too. To make it stick better I put down a thin layer of RTV silicon then stuck the tape in it.

Brad

http://home.attbi.com/~dayoneracing

4. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

Heat Shield Products

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/

Go to this site. Ask for Steve Heye.
    You will see our old 600 on the site as well. We had issues with pipes burning through as well. We got some stuff from him that helped us alot.

5. Bill Hirstius

Bill Hirstius Member

The tape everybody is referring ot is either aluminum foil tape or lead foil tape. As far as bodywork goes I used AirTech and never had a problem but I would use the tape and keep the Sharkskins.:D

6. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Yeah foil tape. Can get it at Home Depot in the section with the duct work for HVAC.

7. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

We tried the heat tape like you are all talking about. Didn't work.
    Tried the LP stuff. Didn't work.
    Then I found Heat Shield Products.<<<<

What? He helped our team out last year and put our bike on his site. I'll plug him again:

Heat Shield Products.com

Steve Heye

8. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

thanks for all the suggestions. I will definately call heat sheild and see what they can do. For Bill, who uses airtech; are you running an Akrapovik exhaust like me, and if so how do you like your Airtech compared to Sharkskins. I am in need of new bodywork and wanted to know if switching might be a good idea.

9. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

Cuda-
    When we first started having body scorching problems we were running Airtech on the bike. Then we went to the National at NPR and saw that others were having similar trouble. In fact this one guy had a fire with his lowers. Since I was having similar problems I asked what he was running on the bike. He didn't know, but it was obvious that it was different than my Airtech.
    I have seen a few people with 'Skinz have some melt through issues as well as we are having a bit with our 1000 body. 'Skinz are quite a bit better when they get put to the test on the ground if that is important.

10. Bill Hirstius

Bill Hirstius Member

Cuda: I am running an M4 exhaust and have plenty of clearance. A few things about the Airtech plactic. For the price when I was starting out it is great. It is the Greyline version $495 retail. It comes with a white gel coat which you can leave alone or paint. The only issue with gel coats are they spider crack sometimes. Also, the greyline is noy very flexible. If you look at the January Roadracingworld issue there is a good comparison of bodywork done by Scott Morse. Mine has touched the ground a few times and has crashed well. (2 lowsides) I am not sure how it would fare in a more violent crash.:confused: It also takes a little adjustment to get it to fit properly but it is doable. Good luck with your project..