1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing masking tape from lights...

Discussion in 'General' started by raubrey1, Nov 10, 2009.

1. raubrey1

raubrey1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I made a dumb mistake and covered my lights with masking tape to do my first track day. I used goo gone on the tape and got about zero results. Please send some suggestions on how to most effectively remove the tape.

Thanks!

2. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

WD-40

3. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Dynamite or flame thrower.

4. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

--->>> Honda cleaner/polish !!! <<<---

... the only substance in the world that will remove dried on paintball paint.

(believe me I tried gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, rubbing compound, Windex, Clorox, Drano, etc.)

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

:stupid:

Apply with a clean rag, then wipe the lense down with a little paint thinner/mineral spirits to get the WD-40 off. Works every time.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Unplug the lights next time and use blue painters tape

7. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

Or the fuses for said lights...

8. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

:stupid:

The stuff is magic. It can remove tape residue and leave behind a nice coat of wax........ :D

Scott P.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:stupid:this is your best bet

this may work too, but dont get honda polish. the stuff that is now called honda polish is not the same stuff that i think hes talking about. Something happened with the company that actually made Honda Polish and Hona and they split. The new Honda Polish is not as good as the old Honda Polish. The old Honda Polish is now rebranded as The Original or something of that sort. Just go to your local bike dealership and ask a sales associate about the "old" Honda Polish and he should know what you're talking about.

10. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

HMMMMM. I did not know this. I know it was off the market for a while but I thought when they brought it back that it was the same stuff.
    Thanks for the info. :up:

Scott P.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Wood chisel and a 2 lb. hammer.

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I didnt know either until a friend of mine told me about it. then i went to my local dealership to get some and asked the parts guy about it and he backed it up. Got the "original" and sure enough it works miracles.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

IIRC, Honduh bowed to the EPA.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, they just broke up with the company that made the product for some reason. Probably found a cheaper source - which of course doesn't work as well.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

This is true (including the part where the new stuff is horrible), except that the last time I was at Sloan's they had The Real Stuff there (as in, branded the same as old). Talk to Tim Birdsong in parts to get the 411. I don't know if they had a stach or what, but they had a lot of it. This was about 5 weeks ago.

Also...Protect-All polish in the blue can is (used to be anyway) the same stuff.

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Ya this is correct. I read a copy of the paperwork that Honda circulated about it when visiting a dealer back when it happened. I can't remember the details but I do remember reading the note on it.

18. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

Magic Eraser will work. I use it to remove price tags all the time.

19. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Wont paint thinner melt the plastic? I would try some rubbing alcohol to get rid of the WD-40. Paint thinner seems risky to me.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Butt! Butt! Butt I read it on the intertubes!