1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bike camera usability improvement

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dakh, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Anyone else thinks that current commonly used bike camera interfaces are a little too inconvenient to use? I just want a camera that turns on when I turn the bike on, and has ONE button or switch that would control recording start/stop - somewhere easily accessible, like on a handlebar. Ideally I'd like a two camera setup that would work off of the same one button.

Is it easy/possible to hack into common camera control systems (like VHoldr, VIO POV, or one of those new solid state consumer camcorders) and make them just turn on immediately when there's power, and also get 'em to have a remote REC button? I currently have a VIO POV camera and it has a little handy remote control which is great, but it's pretty big and a pain to get at to just turn it on, and if I install two of those it's going to be an even bigger mess from the usability standpoint.

Ideas, comments?

2. Go Pro Hero camera. Plenty of mounts to choose from. Has pretty much one button, but there is not remote if it's that important. It comes in standard and wide angle. Waterproof and shock resistant. I love mine.

3. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Dimitry- Try these guys. I picked up a clearance camera from them, but they have very fancy set ups with lots of options. Drop them a note and see what they have to say.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This will do that all for you.

http://www.chasecam.com/recorders/PDR100
    The new units can be set to automatically start recording when you start moving.

I really want this system for other reasons but its expensive...but prolly could have spent the same amount with the 3 vholdr cameras I have. :)

6. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Haha, isn't it amazing - works every time, yes there ARE a number of good solutions, but they're also out of my price range! :) Thanks guys, I'll keep saving up for one of these.

7. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

8. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

I'm doing it on a supermoto bike where pretty much any place external is a prime candidate for getting smashed, but that thing seems to be cheap and small enough for a triple mount.. How do you like the quality?

9. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

The video quality is much better than what ends up on YouTube or Vimeo. I've never made a DVD. It seems more overexposed or washed out compared to GoPro videos, which seem underexposed and dark. This records the sun whereas the GoPro turns it into a black dot.

If I were to run it on my sumo I'd put the recorder on the triple or fork leg. I've run it on my dirt bike with the camera on my helmet and the recorder in my chest pack. It's very flexible.

All my onboards are from the Axial Video mini DVR:

http://www.youtube.com/2strokeyardsale
    http://www.vimeo.com/yardsale

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That is the exact camera that I have. You have seen my vids, right D? If not, let me know and I'll send you links. It's not too bad, but I need a sunshade. Plus, a drop of water will completely muddy the optical orifice, making any rainy day vid utterly worthless. But, it crashes very well. I'll show you how I mount mine, since there is literally zero method to mount it except for sticky tape or (my preference) a ziptie.

11. Kontrolled Kaos

Kontrolled Kaos Well-Known Member

Not to thread jack, but since were on the subject......who makes a video/data system to show throttle and braking position like you see on televised races? Closest I found is Moto360 but from what I understand the brake sensor just shows an on/off indication vs what you would see on tv.

12. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

These guys do.

Not cheap, but the video is pretty impressive.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The Chasecam I gave you had a unit you can attach to it which will get DA stuff along with GPS data and then they have software to put it all together.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

oh that's trick!

I don't see a price anywhere.

15. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

It's $1K. Search around the Interwebs and you'll find a few places that sell it.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's done purposely to not scare the living shit out of your wallet. Last I checked they wanted close to $800 bucks for a camera that take 640x480 and plugs into the AIM dash.

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

LOL...so this one would be more due to the GPS, telemetry and the 720p recording along with the ability to plug it into the AIM dash.

Still want. :)

18. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Yea the sun gets it pretty good. It doesn't have the wavy compression artifacts that a lot of cameras have from simply not being able to process the amount of change that happens with high speeds. I hate those, so this one's pretty good.

For comparison this is on a sunny day from VIO POV, and they have a firmware that should make it even better which I haven't installed yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a0X9-p5udI

Thanks for the input!