1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 09 R1 forks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by vale46, Oct 20, 2009.

1. vale46

vale46 Well-Known Member

Anyone seen this before

Attached Files:

2. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

how did that happen

3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i've seen some gixxer forks crack, but not that bad. did this happen out of nowhere or did you wreck er wut?

4. vale46

vale46 Well-Known Member

I just put the front wheel on and was tightening the pince bolts and it cracked. I was using a torque wrench set at 21nm or 15ft lbs and heard three clicks two were the wrench and one was the fork.

5. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

Wow man. Thats nuts. Good thing it happened when you were putting a wheel on it and not riding it. Take it to a Yamaha dealership, and get in touch with a rep. Yamaha is good and I bet they will cover it if you can prove it was faulty and not because you damaged the fork.

6. Dr. GoFast

yes, take it to yamaha- man that is some BS on yamaha's part...

7. vale46

vale46 Well-Known Member

I sent both legs back to the dealer today. Problem will be taken care of but that doesn't leave me much confidence in their fork manufacturer's casting process. Maybe just a freak flaw but that part should take way more stress than that. I've seen pinch bolts tightened so much you have to drill them out.

8. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

Since you have seen pinch bolts that have been tightened so much, then surely you of all people know how much stress forks can normally take and should understand fully how much of a freak accident this was. =P
    The forks are good enough for Hayes, they will work for you too.

9. vale46

vale46 Well-Known Member

True but I dont think Josh is running oem forks on his superbike probably more like Ohlins superbike forks.

10. Dr. GoFast

^ he's running ohlins internals praly, but his forks have to be stock.

11. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

Must of had race-tech 25mm Cartridges Inside :beer:

12. Probee255

Probee255 Well-Known Member

get to work GR

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As per the class rules he HAS to run OEM fork externals........he runs the Ohlins gas charged cartridge internal though.

So does Bostrom :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

there is no way there was race tech stuff in there it never would have done that.......just kidding haters

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a busted wheel! :crackup:

16. kentster

kentster Well-Known Member

I'm 99% sure there's another example of this exact issue over at the R1 forum. I'll try to dig it up.

17. vale46

vale46 Well-Known Member

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If it makes you feel any better, someone posted the same thing that happened to a GSXR-1000 on GDC. I think in his case he overtorqued the pinch bolts

19. Dr. GoFast

there is also a bulletin on the 09 R1 about the stock clip-on and the subframe. some rider sued yamaha cuz his clip-on broke off out of nowhere in a 100+ corner and made him crash... yamaha gave him a new bike. also, with the subframe, cuz it's that new lighter material, i guess people were getting cracks in it when they removed the passenger pegs.

20. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

sounds like a piece of shit. I have an R6 I hope it doesnt fall apart on the street