1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sv Forks

Discussion in 'General' started by Team Atomic, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

I looking into upgrading my SV front end, and I need some advice. What are you guys running?? What do you think is the ultimate setup!

1. Replace with complete GSXR 750 front end, can use CBR929 top triple clamp or extend forks internally.

2. Replace with complete F4 or ZX6R front end. I like the F4 idea.

3. Replace with F3 internal and tubes. raced a F2 and know there forks were spongy.

4. Revalve the existing SV650, axxion emulaters and new hole drilled into damper rod.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

There is nothing wrong with stock forks,we did ours, and everyone that rode the bike loved it.
    If you change, that will limit your classes to run.
    I have a set done, I can trade you plus $275

3. dwheeler

dwheeler Well-Known Member

How bad is the stock forks for a 140lb rider ?

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Gain some weight there tough guy:D My teammate is 145,he has the same stock setup.You have to play with the oil, big time!

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Im in the same dilemna!
    I opted to go with a '00+ GsxR750 front end. I was looking for an easy bolt up solution rather than mix matching different parts w/ 2+ different makes/models. Aside from the 750 front end (w/ the special order bearing) making life easier, its probably one of the most popular models out there making it cheaper to buy and replace parts than many other types including the 600 front ends.
    Some ppl will argue that it weighs more(w/out ANY support), well if you must know stay tuned cuz I plan on weighing EACH part with the SV equilevant to put that argument to rest. I dont doubt that it weighs more but I doubt it will be anythng like they make it sound.
    The bottom line is can you live w/out the adjustability the 750 front end can bring you? If its yes then Id say work w/ what you got. Altho I think its a gamble in the long run. Why? The SV I bought had its front end worked by MB Motorsports by its previous owner who happens to weigh about the same as I do (maybe 10# difference) and the its feels way too spongy/soft for my liking. I know they thru in the RT emulators, matching springs and changed the oil weight to 20# (i think). But it still felt too soft, my zip ties were running all the way up on me. I cld chance it and send them off to Traxxion, Speedwerks or some other well known shop but the bottom line is it 'might' come back to me feeling no different and still leave me w/out the adjustments. So I figured let me invest that $150 (Im guessing thats it since it has the hardware already) it wld of cost me for a tune-up into a proven front end.

Gdluck w/ ur decision!

Btw- if ur gonna race the thing expert317 is right you will be limited on what classes you can run in and more than likely outclassed in those divisions unless you do more than just suspension work.

6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

The troglodyte view

Put in the right springs for your weight, 30w oil 110mm from the top, set the preload so the sag's right and go racing. No emulators or valves. I had mine like this and everybody who rode it, including a couple of very fast guys, thought it was fine. I'm not saying it's the perfect setup, but I think 95% of the guys on SV's would go just as fast on this as on anything else.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Rich: how are you setting ur preload? spacers??

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Actually, I got lucky. When I bought my Race-Tech springs I cut the spacer so that the total length of the spring/spacer combo was the same as stock. (The Race-Tech spring is not the same length as the stock one.) Turned out to be perfect. If I'd needed to adjust it I'd have either trimmed the spacer I had or cut a longer one from PVC, depending on which way I needed to go.

9. dwheeler

dwheeler Well-Known Member

stock spring rate is .706, is that correct? is there a spring rate chart that would tell you what weight a particular spring rate is for?

10. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

www.race-tech.com has a spring fork chart.

you prabably need at least .85, but safe bet is .90.

I think the oil level real critical.

11. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

12. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Looks like I getting a F4 front end!!!

13. gsxracerbenny

gsxracerbenny Well-Known Member

Send em to traxxion, i got mine done.......ZERO COMPLAINTS.

I highly reccomend it.

14. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Don't listen to Rich. He'll tell ya things like the SV with a good rider will out handle an GSXR1000 with a sucky rider and such... ;) Rich knows his setup. If you are new to it, stick with the stock front, change the springs and oil. I just got mine back from Race-Tech so it should be interesting this weekend at NPR. Let's all pray the rain stays away......

Lee

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Why would someone from the Midwest send the fork to Max, when 4&6 is a Axion dealer, and a Computrack Center?

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Glutton for punishment??? Seriously, I bought from Max because I "know" him from the BBS. I've heard of 4&6, but don't know anybody who's dealt with them.

17. TreyBone

TreyBone Member

front end

I use cycletechracing.com

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

10-4, I work there during the day, learning about proper race setup.Ever hear of a guy named:Larry Denning, or Team Chicago, #1 MWSS Endurance Champs?There you go:D

19. gsxracerbenny

gsxracerbenny Well-Known Member

What kind of smartass question is that? If there is an Axxion center nearby especially one as well spoken of as 4&6 ....... obviously he would send em to the 4&6 Axxion center. I expect he would get the same quality service he would receive by sending the forks to the Traxxion center in atlanta. Lay off the coffee bro............

20. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Jim does real great work at 4 & 6, so if was going to have someone else do them it would be him, or Chicago Performance.

I'm going to do them myself. I wanted to stay away from the SV fork because I don't know how to tune them. The F4 forks are very similar to the GSXR forks, which I've done in the past.

I let you guys know how it turns out.

Axxion valves for the SV. Ohlin's valves in my GSXR.