1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renthal 2nd Generation Road Racing 50mm Clip-On Handlebars

Discussion in 'RidersDiscount.com' started by Riders Discount, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

We’ve been a big believer in Renthal Road Racing Clip-On handlebars ever since they became available in the USA last summer. Just like their excellent motocross handlebars, the alignment marks were a very helpful touch for setting up everything the controls on our bikes. But, when we were installing out first set of 50mm clip-ons, we noticed a little something that was overlooked in their design – the fact that, unless you had a bike with a narrow section around the outer, upper triple clamp, it was difficult to see exactly where the alignment marks were located. While this wasn’t a huge issue, it was something we thought should be addressed. So, after a phone call and an email, Renthal reported back to us that they were going to integrate our idea into their next run of Road Racing Clip-Ons. Now that’s customer service!

This second generation of Renthal Clip-Ons includes everything that the original version does: precision alignment marks on both the fork tube clamps and handlebars but, when you look closely at the fork tube clamps, an extra chamfer was machined into the upper portion with the alignment marks on it. Now, for those bikes with thicker material on the upper triple clamp surrounding the fork tube, you can have a look at the clip-ons from the side, instead of through the pinch bolt area, to see exactly where your clip-ons on are lined up. This greatly sped-up the alignment process!

Renthal clip-ons are not yet available on our website, and this new design is only available on 50mm kits for the time being. Order a set by calling TJ at 866.931.6644 ext 817 for same day shipping! If you have any questions on specific fitment, please send an email to WERA at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM with RENTHAL CLIP-ONS in the subject line, along with the model and year of the bike you ride and you can expect a very timely response.

Renthal clip-ons have alignment marks smartly placed for a perfect, repeatable setup. With fork clamps machined from 7075-T6 series aluminum and handlebar tubes made with 7010 aluminum, the clip-ons are strong, lightweight and treated for good looks and corrosion resistance. Pictured below, you can see the original clip-on design without the extra chamfer on the fork tube clamp.
    [​IMG]

Here’s the problem with the first generation design – you could only see the alignment marks through the pinch bolt area on most motorcycles.
    [​IMG]

The second generation Renthal clip-on fork tube clamp on the left, the first generation on the right. You can easily see the advantage of the new design.
    [​IMG]

While Renthal clip-ons are available for 48mm, 50mm, 51mm, 52mm and 53mm diameter fork tubes, currently only 50mm kits have the new chamfer machined into the clamp design.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

Cool, The black and teal ones look sweet.
    Whats the current sub $200 competition to these?
    Anyone have them yet?
    I may have to treat my R6 to a set.

3. Riders Discount

Nobody really has anything like this. Vortex started etching their clip-on bars, but that's about it. Those certainly aren't anything like this. I don't think anyone makes clip-ons as nice as these.

Plarp put a set on his bike and he'll be evaluating them for the first time tomorrow at Gingerman.

4. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

Finally. Sad part is I already bought clip ons. That aligning crap drives me insane, does help that im also anal

5. Riders Discount

Pretty much. Why didn't anyone come up with this sooner? The only bad thing that can be said about these is that, if you have a bike with an upper triple clamp that's somewhat wide around the outside, you can't see the marks except by looking through the pinch bolt slit. Other than that, much, MUCH easier to get right. On the '09 R1, for example, the clamp is narrow so it's easy to see the marks.

Renthal needs to etch guide marks on the sides of the cuffs too.

6. Mlaud1000RR

Mlaud1000RR HONDA

7. Riders Discount

Don't think so, at least, not yet.

8. Rem6a

Rem6a WCR Racer

They should do every other in a rainbow color matching the other side. This way through the pinch bolt you know what color to match. :p

And very cool design by the way.

9. is this still happening?

10. Riders Discount

While supplies last. Give TJ a call at 866-931-6644 ext 817

11. iRide

iRide Well-Known Member

Where do you see teal?

12. Riders Discount

I don't believe that I have seen teal clip ons yet.

13. iRide

iRide Well-Known Member

Yea but that would be sweeet!

14. axld

axld sinner & saint racing

ohh , snap ! just in time for my new bike i'm putting together!.:up: btw, how much for replacement bars ?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  15. notoriousroc1

notoriousroc1 Well-Known Member

Same question here...how much for replacement bars? And will others brand(s) bars fit (vortex, woodcraft)?

16. Riders Discount

17. sqrlnut

sqrlnut Well-Known Member

does that price include grip glue as well:up:

18. Riders Discount

19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

any idea what the replacement bars will cost?

20. Riders Discount