1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Godspeed Teddy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by H8R, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Maybe he was seen as the next JFK?

2. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

You've heard of the US Senate, right?

You know, where every state, regardless of population, gets 2 votes.

Currently the "Gang of Six" Senators on the Senate Finance Committee ( representing Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming, Iowa, and Maine) are playing a huge role in the Senate version of healthcare reform legislation. Together they represent less than 3% of the US population and the largest city in any of those states is Albuquerque.

Bottom line, what you are complaining about works both ways.

edit: not trying to turn this into a healthcare thread...just pointing out how our gov't works.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  3. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

We'll never know for sure why they were assassinated but there were some other pretty big causes being championed by the Kennedy's during the 60's that weren't very popular with a lot of people.

4. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

:stupid:

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Sorry, I was quoting the Pythons...

Bombing was always and still remains a bit of a barbaric science. Except now you get to see an outline of who you think you're bombing....

6. Strick

Strick Good to be king

The above is just dumb, almost a Leveresque type response. :p

7. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Timothy McVeigh was in the military and won a bronze star.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, you just don't like that your not-so-clever attempt at wit backfired. :moon:

I don't give two shits about Ted Kennedy, but I'll fight stupid wherever it rears its ugly head.

When I typed that, I realized we could use a smiley that point its index finger right at the person looking at the screen. :D

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Ding, fries are DONE.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Agree. For the record, I am always a bit cautious about Committee.s.

I was trying to address the issues at the State Level. In most cases if you don't live in a Metro area, you vote don't count. People seem to forget that much gets done in the Rural Areas that are a benefit to all.

I just don't like when rural areas get dismiss whether at the State or National Level.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Unfortunately, there is a disparity when compare to criminals amongst elected officials. They don't seem to come as hard on each others as military tribunals do on their own!

BTW - I do agree on the jist of your general statement.

12. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

Like I said, it works both ways. If you live in a large city in a red state, then your vote often doesn't count. That's just the way it is.

I just don't think that any rural areas are being dismissed to the level that you think they are. If anything, they hold a disproportionate share of power for their small populations.

Regarding your earlier comment about mob rule, I don't think that the voting turnout numbers support what you're saying. How do you define "mob"?

13. franklaw996

franklaw996 Well-Known Member

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Seriously, how many of those exist?

When I hear large, Im thinking:
    NYC = Blue
    Chicago = Blue
    LA = Blue

15. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

It's not just about the big population states. It's about anywhere that this happens which is nearly every state. Since I mentioned red states though I am talking about cities like Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, Jackson, etc. Any of the largest cities in any red state.

You also have Charlotte and Indianapolis which are in traditional red states that went blue last time.

By your criteria though, you can add places like Houston and Atlanta...that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Add KC and St. Louis, two welfare cities guarding entrance (collecting tax) to the State of MO.

Buster, MO is what I consider a prime example of masses (mob) ruling. I travel a lot and meet a fair number of individuals. Contrary to what some of my posts here may suggest, I am really a very open person, with strong opinions that are constantly being shaped by my interaction with other or as I gather information. I think there a fair share of discontent from the Country side (rural) towards the big Cities and it goes beyond envy. I tend to recall my experience with Northern NYorkians.

KC and St. Louis surprise me the most probably due to the contrast. To me, this is not exemplary of Americana (which is about every other City of any Highway), too much like Big Eastern Cities - with the exception of maybe New York and Santo Domingo (DR), I have never seen so many individuals just sitting waiting for something to happen, for a hand out? I don't necessary mean Lazy (like Memphis :Poke:). The prevailing attitude is not like the rest of the State. My perception or observation is probably further exhasberated by the acknowledge crime rates; again, not in keeping with the rest of the State.

I enjoyed Kansas City quite a bit and met some really nice people but I detested the fact that I paid taxes there. I have never come so close to purchasing a home or Condo as I did last year but in the end, I was not going to contribute anymore than what I was already to fund something that I am totally against.

More and more, I am left with the belief that the next revolution most surface in the economic arena. I have lost some passion about all that I do, maybe I am tired. I know I am but one pissed off moment, from calling it quits or taking a sabatical from contributing. :D

17. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

I've said something about this before but I'll say it again. Republican losses in the last 2 election cycles, but especially in the 2008 race, were not due to mobs of welfare recipients voting Democratic. McCain lost nearly every demographic except older/rural/white. That leaves a whole lot of other groups that he didn't appeal to.

Here's the other thing: you need to quit taking the people you see standing on the street corners (non-voters for the most part) as being representative of everyone who lives in cities. There are lots of hard-working, tax-paying people who just happen to disagree with you politically.

As for as your other stuff about not purchasing a house/going Galt...whatever suits you. You're doing more harm to yourself than anyone else.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I consider myself an independent. The fact that I don't vote also means that noone political side owns me.

I have never liked the ideal of either Party pandering to one side or the other. I think this is what is wrong with the two Party system. I only hope that this will be there downfall. The dependency of the Republican on the so called right wing religious zealots is ridiculous as is the pandering of the Democrats to those who will vote based on promise of returns.

I don't believe your statement about the previous election is necessarily wrong but may not all inclusive to what may have actually contributed to the downfall of the Republican Party.

In my eyes, it was nearly a perfect storm for the Dems. You had a current administration that was at war, have betrayed conservative values. The guaranteed votes for the Reps were not altogether behind McCain, yet instead of opting for what could possibly be described as the worse of two Evils, they chose to stay home.

On the Dem side, they were motivated. They had a Candidate who presented himself as the vehicle of change & hope (more and more up for some debate). He Champion the causes that brought out the extreme left and was appealing to the middle of both sides (much like what Reagan accomplished). And, it did not help that he was a Robin Hood to some, the promise of a $500 check.

Like I said, the revolution must be economic. The rat race will kill us and at the very least enslave us to masters of our own acceptance.

I definitely believe that everyone should to the extent possible, make an honest attempt to get away from paycheck to paycheck living. It will free many.

And, history has always shown what amazing thing are accomplished by free men.

To this extent, both political parties are compromised by those who enslave themselves under the respective banners. The dependency is sickening.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Oh God, this is going to be worse than looking for a contact lens.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Hawk for President in 2012.