1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on an FZR 600

Discussion in 'General' started by wera313, Feb 5, 2003.

1. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a cheap streetbike to play with, i.e. >$2000. I don't know much about FZRs, figured I'd consult the braintrust. What are your experiances with them? I'm looking at a 1993 with ~8k miles. What size tires fit the FZRR wheels?

I'm also thinking about a Honda Hawk but they seem to be overpriced and I've never owned a Yamaha...

Thanks in advance.

2. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

I would love to have another Hawk, what an all around fun bike! I do not have much street interest these days but anytime I can get a ride on one I'm gone.

3. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

One hang up of the FZR 4/6 is the rear rim is an 18" There are tons of ways to get a 17 in there though (old GSXR's, F2, F3 etc... ) If you get it, I have a pair of GSXR 1100 17*4.5 's I don't need.

The front rim is a 17*3.0 its limited as well, but not as bad as the rear. I know Dunlop still has the D207 GP in a 110 size, not sure of the other manufacturers.

Don

4. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Bridgestone has the tires you need for the 18" rear.

5. wera313

What is the suspension like on these bikes? What is the power like? Is it easy to flip the gearchange to GP from standard?

Thanks for the wheel info. I'll probably switch to a 17' wheel so that I can use my race take-offs on it.

6. Tracee Polcin

Not an easy flip of the linkage. You must use the shift knuckle from a different bike. Or make a stubby shifter by cutting the lever and bending it to 90 and then weld to the knuckle.

7. wera313

Thanks for the info, the Cannondale still rocks! :) Which bike should I get a shift knuckle from? That option sounds cleaner than a bend-and-weld...

8. Tracee Polcin

I think the FJ1100 or FJ1200.

9. wera313

C'mon, I know some of you guys have owned this bike...

10. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I've ridden three different ones...I didn't like any of them Can't tell you why...FZR's and I just don't play well together I suppose.

I'd buy an old F3 or ZX6 instead.

11. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

12. wera313

Thanks for the board link. I've thought about the Kawi but never owned one, I'm a bit gun shy with Kawasaki <sp?>.... Are there any particularly good years for the ZX-6R?

13. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I owned a ZX6E (yes, the "touring" version)

comfortable, sporty enough to enjoy the streets if they twisted, great power. Only bike I ever got squidly with on toll way entry ramps.

14. Chris706

Chris706 slow mover

I had a 92 Fizzer 600. The power was decent but the suspension is rather laking. No adjustablity front and ramp style preload rear. Very squishy. The 18" rear kind of sucked also. I agree with Tex get an old F3 or ZX6. The FZR is a great entry sportbike. You would probably get bored with it very quick.

15. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Buy my FZR400.

Way cooler and more fun to ride than an FZR600.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i have a vance & hines limited edition fzr 600 that i am quite fond of. the suspension is not good. it works on the street, but still not good. the tires arent a problem you can get any compound you would like from long distance to slick. they dont come with a lot of power, but it is very usable. make sure you get the '90 or newer. they have beeter brakes.

btw did i mention i have one that i want to get rid of. $800. it needs tlc

17. Craig Boadwine

Craig Boadwine Well-Known Member

Bridgestone makes some tires yet for the FZR .. I am going to run BT010's stock sizes over Valentines weekend. Then when funds are available go with the BT090 race tires. Check out the Bridgestone website. I haven't had any luck finding tires anywhere else.

Craig
    92' FZR 600 "CocoaPuff"